We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fjords cruise question.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Fjords cruise question.

Hi there.

As part of a planned trip to Norway in either March or October 2015 I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion to offer on the following cruise:

Hurtigruten Winter Cruise, Southbound - 6 days

It's from Kirkenes to Bergen and it does appeal to me as it seems to offer me the chance by departing from Kirkenes to see the Northern Lights and then join the cruise to get to Bergen and en route experience the beautiful coastline. It may seem a silly question but I will on this route get to see the fjords ?

Many thanks!

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,823 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fjords cruise question.

The Hurtigruten runs along the coast largely sheltered by islands and skerries. It does not visit the iconic fjords, it merely crosses the mouth of famous fjords like Sognefjorden. The ship does however call at Molde that sits on a major fjord (and the less impressive but larger Trondheimsfjord).

https:/…27Hurtigruten.svg

Note that days are shorter and weather often more gloomy in October. In March there is still winter up north but, full daylight.

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fjords cruise question.

Many thanks for the reply.

That really answers my question !

Would you be able to offer any assistance as regards a cruise that does take in the fjords that lasts about 4 days?It doesn't bother me where the departure or arrival port is provided I can arrive or depart in Bergen and arrive or depart from either Tromso or Kirkenes in order to hopefully see the Northern Lights. Based on your information I will forget about going in October and stick with March!

Many thanks.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
13,774 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fjords cruise question.

Why go all the way to Kirkenes? Tromsø has a lot more to offer the tourist with activities and Northern light chases etc. http://www.visittromso.no/en/

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,823 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fjords cruise question.

Be aware that "winter" in the North means temperatures well below zero and often plenty of snow on ground (as in Tromsø)

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,775 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fjords cruise question.

AFAIK, all traditional cruises that take in the iconic fjords start from outside Norway and are for 7 days or more.

The Hurtigruten ferry does go into Geiranger fjord but this is only northbound in season, check on web site. IMHO the coastline is very impressive maybe not as dramatic but more varied. Certainly in Geiranger fjord it's impressive but as the sides are steep there are no views. On the Coast there is much to see.

You can visit the fjords by public transport, there's lots written on the forum.

Do remember Hurtigruten is not a cruise ship, it is a working ferry, comfortable and good but no entertainment etc.

Trying to see the NL's and the fjords is quite difficult because you want to see each at different times of the year.

Sligo, Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fjords cruise question.

Yes...I am beginning to realise that as far as seeing both the fjords and the NLs.

What I really wanted to do was take a 3 or 4 day cruise from Bergen to Tromso....using that opportunity to see the coastline and the fjords and from Tromso get to see the NLs.

My preferred month to do this would be in March.

Hurtigruten appears perfect to me. It's not at all an issue that's it's not a so called luxury cruise ship. Also I'm not interested in a cruise from any location outside of Norway.

7. Re: Fjords cruise question.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:25