We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NIN - stopover time & luggage size

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
NIN - stopover time & luggage size

Hello everyone,

My husband and I plan to visit Norway for 9 days in early June. We'll stay at Bergen for two days - the first day sightseeing, and the second doing "Norway in a Nutshell" one-way trip to Oslo.

I researched online about where to store our luggage during the NIN trip since we'll have to take everything with us to Oslo. We'll stay at a friend's place in Oslo, so there is no luggage delivery possibility. (They only do hotel to hotel.)

We plan to take one 27" luggage, and two personal bags between us for the 9-day trip.

My questions are:

1. The stopover at Gudvangen is about 30 mins. What do people do during the wait? Or it does take about 30 mins to transfer from bus to boat?

2. The stopover at Flam is about 2 hours. We'll have to store our luggage for sure. I understand that there are lockers available at Flam's railway station. Do they fit 27" luggage? Are there plenty of lockers available?

3. The stopover at Myrdal is about 1 hour. What do people do during the wait? Is it worth it to store the luggage at the Myrdal railway station, and then go around the town?

4. Do people do haul large luggage during the NIN tours? Should we consider getting a smaller luggage for the trip?

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice!

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NIN - stopover time & luggage size

1. Stretch their legs walk and around a bit. Disembarking the bus and boarding the boat takes a little time as well.

2. Haven't got a clue I'm afraid. Doubt there are great many lockers since it's a small place.

3. Myrdal and town are two words that don't fit together. This is a picture of "downtown" Myrdal: …wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Myrdal_med_Myrdal_s…

You could backtrack down to Kjosfossen - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kjosfossen

4. Some do, but most don't. This company is used by many - http://www.porterservice.no/

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,929 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NIN - stopover time & luggage size

4. It is public transport, you will find passengers with all kinds of luggage sizes.

Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: NIN - stopover time & luggage size

Thanks for sharing the Myrdal image. I didn't realize it's a quaint little village. I guess simply walking around and taking pictures would be enjoyable enough to spend the hour!

I posted another thread at the Flam forum, trying to find out the locker size. I know people take all sizes of luggage. That's why I would love to learn others' experience regarding how feasible it is to haul larger luggage when doing the NIN tour.

I guess if I couldn't find suitable locker, I'll have to drag 27" luggage with me to do some sightseeing in Flam.

(I cannot use the Porter Service because I won't be staying in hotels.)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NIN - stopover time & luggage size

Our family of 5 (2 adults + 3 young children) did NIN in May. It was the second time we've done it, but the first with luggage. We had two very large (not sure the size - but at least 27") suitcases on wheels, plus a daypack each. We found no need to store luggage at all. The thing with NIN is that you go for the scenery from the boat/trains/bus - not for the towns. As mentioned, Myrdal is essentially a train station (in fact, you'll be unlikely to leave the platform); The Gudvangen transfer is about how long it takes to disembark the boat and board the bus, and; Flåm is essentially just a giant souvenir shop). Don't let that put you off - it's the scenery you come for, and it delivers in spades! Absolutely magnificent. Like I said, we've done it twice now, and loved it both times.

Luggage story on the boat/bus/trains is a breeze - no need to concern yourself with that.

Enjoy.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
25,819 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NIN - stopover time & luggage size

There is a café at Myrdal if you find you are in need of a coffee or a snack. And there are luggage lockers at Flåm station.

Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: NIN - stopover time & luggage size

Thanks everyone for sharing advices and experiences. Here is my NIN trip report. We took the one-way NIN tour from Bergen to Oslo.

1. Luggage size was not an issue. There was plenty of space to store luggage on the trains, bus, and ferry, and at the Flam train station. I couldn't find self-service lockers at Flam station. There was a luggage "cabin" where you can store luggage for 40kr per piece with a station staff. So the fewer pieces you have the better.

2. The stopover at Gudvangen was about 30 mins, and was just enough time for people to get from the bus to the pier and wait for boarding. There were other bus-load of tourists waiting to board Fjord 1, not just NIN people. You could probably steal five to ten minutes for restroom or souvenir shops.

3. The stopover at Flam was about 2 hours. The train station area, like TB-1974 mentioned, was basically a gigantic souvenir shop and was packed with tourists. I suggest store luggage (though costly) and explore the trails nearby. The staff at the small visitor center was quite friendly and knowledgeable on advising trail options. There was a 40-min round-trip trail up the hill where you can have a good view of the harbor. I found the train station area very touristy and stifling, so getting away from the crowd was a relief.

4. The stopover at Myrdal was about 1 hour. Some people walked down to the village along a dirt road by the rail, but you'll have to travel light to do that. It would be difficult to explore around hauling luggage. We spent time sitting on the plate form enjoying the surrounding snow-covered mountain and valley while snacking away. It was very lovely and peaceful as many tourists returned to Bergen or continued to other destinations.

5. Packing lunch for the NIN tour can save you quite some money. The food on the ferry and at the train stations was overpriced.

7. Re: NIN - stopover time & luggage size

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:15