We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

I need some advice on whether to buy Norway-in-a-Nutshell (NIN) package for the one-way Oslo-Flam-Gudvangen-Voss-Bergen route, or just buy the train/ferry/bus tickets on my own separately. My trip will be in mid-August and I've just checked the prices online today. The NIN package is about 1550 NOK and non-refundable (unless you pay an extra fee for insurance protection), whereas individual tickets for train-ferry-bus-train are around 1300 NOK in total and seemed to the refundable 24hrs prior to departure (except for bus ticket, but could buy upon departure without reservation required). Is it normal that individual ticket purchases are cheaper than the tour package though? Or does NIN package includes guided tour other than just transportation? Also, any risk that the transportation tickets might be sold out - i.e. do I necessarily need to buy in advance or it's ok to buy during the trip instead?

Bergen Segway
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours, Other Fun & Games
Fjord Tours
Historic Sites, Scenic Railroads, Sightseeing Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Other Outdoor Activities
Fonnafly Bergen
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Bergen Base Camp Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Other Outdoor Activities
Save Reply
1. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

I noticed that as well. I believe the only reason that the NIN tour costs more is because it is all in one purchase/ticket, but I am not entirely sure.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,092 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

The package costs more because you are sold the flexible long distance train tickets.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

You may want to read through Klima's blog on the NiN topic:

…wordpress.com/2014/…

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

Hi klimaflyktning:

Would you please explain a little bit more about the privileges for "flexible" long distance train tickets comparing to buying individual tickets on my own? Does it merely give you flexible departure times though? You can probably tell I'm not an experienced traveler, but I ask this because I've actually got my itinerary planned in detail so I know exactly what time I'd like to board on a train/ferry/bus to go from Oslo to Flam to Bergen, and so boarding flexibility might be not a very desirable factor to ticket cost consideration for traveler in a budget. Unless if there're other advantages such as reserved seats with better views (provided that you could choose your seat upon booking) for the trains & ferry that'll be awesome....please advice.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,099 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

If you book your train ticket on www.nsb.no then you can select your reserved seat in the process. This is for the long distance trains. The Flåm Railway does not have reserved seating.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 05:47
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,976 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

Full price flexible tickets are refundable up to time of travel (changes would require refund + buy new ticket), whereas minipris tickets are non-refundable/non-changeable - https:/…about-our-tickets

Both tickets are locked to selected departure time and include seat reservations. Buy minipris tickets up to 90 days in advance - as available seats get sold the price increases.

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

Thanks for all the advice and feedbacks. I've decided to get the NIN package (instead of buying separate tickets) thru the website: www.norwaynutshell.com

However, I got a problem during the booking process and hope someone could help (since I submitted an email inquiry but no reply so far...). I tried to book online the NIN package "one-way trip from Oslo to Bergen", and selected multiple days with a 1-night stop at Flam as follows: Aug18 Oslo-Myrdal-Flam, arriving Flam at 14:25 & stay overnight, then Flam-Gudvangen-Voss-Bergen the next day. The issue is when I depart Flam the next day, I want to take the MORNING 9am ferry departure to Gudvangen, bus to Voss at around noon, and then EARLY AFTERNOON train 2:45-4pm Voss-Bergen. The website, however, does not allow you to choose this time schedule, it's only has 1 default schedule which is 1:20pm departure from Flam and arrive Bergen until 7pm! I don't want to arrive Bergen too late because I'm only staying 1 night in Bergen and will fly to Stockholm the following day. Does anyone has experience on how I could purchase NIN transportation package in which I could choose train/ferry departure times?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,092 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

It is all flexible public transport, you can take whichever ferry you like. No need to worry. What you buy is just a travel pass. Did you actually read this one provided in previous post ??

Edited: 14 June 2014, 21:00
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,092 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

This one

…wordpress.com/2014/…

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: NIN Oslo-Bergen: buy package or separate for transportation?

Actually I've already read previous posts including the link for wordpress, it's just that when I've following the steps on the NIN online booking, at the "confirmation" step it listed the exact boarding time for each train/ferry/bus and ask me CONFIRM the above boarding schedule and proceed to payment, but it does not allow you to change a different boarding time as I wish. But if their boarding schedule is only a "suggested" list and all boarding tickets are not locked in to a fixed boarding time like a flight ticket, then I feel more confident to buy the package thru the NIN website. The article from wordpress did mention about tour flexibility but only in terms of which day you wanna go from one point to another, but didn't have specs on how to customize and lock-in boarding times for each stop, so may be it's unncessary. Do Norway transportation ticket normally has no boarding time listed on the ticket, which means you could basically board on any train/ferry/bus anytime within the date listed on a ticket?