We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sweden and Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Topic
Sweden and Norway

We are a family with children (5-15 years) and planning to spend our vacation from 5th AUGUST-24th August between Sweden and Norway. we are flying to Stockholm and our flight return from Oslo. we will rent a car and we prefer to stay away from the city. we prefer lakes, mountains and nature and water parks. the first 4 night we will stay in a house 20 km from stockholm. what other places we can spend time there. I would appreciate your suggestions.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,687 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sweden and Norway

For Sweden I think you need to ask on the Swedish forum. How do you plan to travel to Norway. Are you returning home from Sweden or Norway ?

Edited: 20 July 2014, 15:34
Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,685 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sweden and Norway

Hiring a car in Sweden and returning in Norway will be expensive if possible at all.

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sweden and Norway

Thank you for reply. yes I am aware that it will be expensive to hire a car from a country and return it back in another country. so we will hire a car in Sweden and return it in Sweden, then we will hire another care in Norway and return it in Oslo airport.

I am returning home from Oslo. we will take a train from Sweden to Norway then we will rent a car for the rest of the vacation. and I posted the same question in the Sweden forum. I would appreciate suggesting a route for our trip in Norway.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,687 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sweden and Norway

If you go to the top questions on this forum and on the main Norway forum, you will find many ideas for driving itineraries and how to plan. Reading some trip reports could be useful too.

Firstly, you need to establish where you want to visit, how many hours you are willing to drive per day, what kind of accomodation you are looking for etc.

You entered your questions on the Bergen forum - do you intend to visit the city ?

http://www.visitnorway.com/en/

Dubai, United Arab...
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sweden and Norway

3 nights in Drammen, 2 nights Flam, 3 nights Bergen then taking the train from Bergen to Oslo and stay one night in Oslo and take the flight back.

we are coming from Sweden to Drammen by train and then renting a car for the road trip. what do you think of this route? is this too much driving? we have kids and the maximum driving we can have is 3 hours. I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,687 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sweden and Norway

I would not spend time in Drammen if I were you - it is not a very interesting place. Drive to Lom and spend the night to break up the journey. Perhaps visit the stave church in Lom. Continue on the scenic road over the mountains the next day.

www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/sognefjellet

Flåm is a busy cruise port, perhaps consider a different location in the Sognefjord area.

http://www.sognefjord.no/en/

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,764 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sweden and Norway

Drammen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drammen

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,685 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sweden and Norway

Having a car in Bergen and Oslo is not convenient due to parking costs - there is good public transport in both cities. One way rental Oslo -Bergen will also be expensive.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sweden and Norway

Not sure why you would be arriving in Drammen when you pass through Oslo on the way.there, but anyway perhaps rent a car in Drammen and stay near Bo in Telemark so you can go to the Sommerland water park there and enjoy a trip on the Telemark canal. That would certainly be worth a three night stay.

From there drive through the lakes and mountains of the Telemark area to the Hardangerfjord and then Voss Perhaps stay at Haukeliseter on the way. From Voss you can easily visit both Flam and Bergen by car or train on day trips. Then drive back to Drammen, breaking the journey on the way if you wish. If you could spread 2 x 3 hour journeys over one day with a long stop for lunch if would reduce the number of overnight stays required.

Not sure why Klima suggests Lom which is a very long way from Drammen.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,687 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sweden and Norway

Lom is a convenient stopover if you plan to go to the Sognefjord area - they do have Flåm on their list. Exploring Telemark is of course another option.