We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to plan a stopover in Western Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Bergen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to plan a stopover in Western Norway

Hello everyone!

I'm planning some travel with my family (mother and sister, all of us ages 21+) likely for mid/late June of next year. After stopping through Italy, I was hoping we could check out some natural wonders in Europe and naturally Norway and the fjords came to mind. After doing some research, I was think of doing something like this:

Fly into Bergen. See parts of the city.

Travel to Odda (or another town) to hike Trolltunga. Not sure if renting a car is that much better than taking public transportation. Will probably need two nights, one on the way there and one on f the way back to Bergen.

Take a Norway in a nutshell trip to Flam via Myrdal. Should this be two days, with an overnight along the way? Or, will a day trip be sufficient, given that we will hopefully have hiked Trolltunga at that point.

Ultimately, I'm hoping we can spend maybe 4 or 5 days in this area and see fjords/waterfalls/etc, along with some hiking. Are there other spots that are more worth seeing? Trolltunga significantly adds to the logistical complexities, adding a couple days and requiring some transportation planning. But, it seems really amazing and I want to know if people agree it would be worth it given our overall time limitation.

Does this seem like a good plan? Is it too rushed?

Oslo
Level Contributor
12,765 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to plan a stopover in Western Norway

Note that Trolltunga is a demanding hike, not for beginners. And there may still be snow remaining in June. You need a full day for the hike, then time for the drive to/from Bergen (at least 3 hours by car).

If you visit Tyssedal/Odda/Trolltunga the nutshell will be largely more of the same, except perhaps the boat ride. If you travel by public transport you don't need to go back to Bergen, stay overnight in Voss instead. If you have a car, you can stay overnight anywhere between Odda and Flåm.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to plan a stopover in Western Norway

With three people then renting a small car will be economic compared to public transport especially if you consider that you will be able to access more reasonable accommodation and food. You will then have the freedom to visit places away from the crowds. Try http://www.visitnorway.com/uk/ for ideas on where to travel.

3. Re: Trying to plan a stopover in Western Norway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:17