We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to buy the ticket in advance to Voss and gudvangen

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Richmond, Virginia
6 posts
Save Topic
Do I need to buy the ticket in advance to Voss and gudvangen

I have already bought the rest of the Norway in a nutshell except for the route from Bergen to Voss and Voss to Gudvangen. Do I need to book these two tickets ahead? Any risk it would run out of seats on Sept 1st?

My departure from Gudvangen is fixed time at 11:45am.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to buy the ticket in advance to Voss and gudvangen

It is not possible to buy tickets for local buses in advance, you buy from the driver when boarding. In case the bus gets full, the bus company will provide another bus,

Ticket for the local train Bergen-Voss you can buy from a ticket machine at the station.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to buy the ticket in advance to Voss and gudvangen

We just did the Bergen to Voss to Gudvangen to Flam (stayed overnight) and then Flam to Myrdal and Myrdal to Oslo trip (finished it today August 19th). We bought our tickets for the 12:59 train to Gudvangen train station the day before we left. We originally were going to take the 8:44, but the ticket agent said that it was going to be very crowded, so we opted for the 12:59 and were really happy we did. Lots of space on the train. We got to Voss and were directed to the parking buses where several buses were located. We went from bus to bus asking if they went to Gudvangen. We found one, but he was not ready to load yet. We waited about fifteen minutes and then boarded it cost 97 each (cash). The bus ride was awesome! The driver pulled over a couple of places for photos. The connection to the ferry was seamless. Two lines, one for cash and one for credit cards as you get on the boat. Within five minutes, we were on our way. There seemed to be good communication between the buses and ferry. We arrived in Flam at 17:50. We spent the night at the Fretheim Hotel. There are cheaper alternates. The hotel was nice, but it was the most expensive on our trip. The next morning we went down to the train at 8:00 for the 8:35 train to Myrdal. We'd bought these tickets ahead of time Flam to Oslo. The train ride to Myrdal was spectacular. The cost was 534.50 NOK. All in all, the connections were great, the scenery spectacular, and they really know what they're doing. All of my fears, concerns, etc. We're allayed.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to buy the ticket in advance to Voss and gudvangen

Sounds like you have had a great time jdmckay!

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to buy the ticket in advance to Voss and gudvangen

Yes, it rained, but that didn't bother us at all.

5. Re: Do I need to buy the ticket in advance to Voss and gudvangen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:17