We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Norway traveller

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Enfield, England...
3 posts
Save Topic
First time Norway traveller

Any advice for a first time traveller to Norway?

I've done some research on the Fjords and things and decided to stay in Bergen from the 1st Sep - 6th Sep 2014. I've looked up different tours to do in or around Bergen and found a 3/4 hour walking tour around Bergen from ToursByLocals which I'll do on the 2nd and then decided to do Norway Nutshell tour (round trip from Bergen via Myrdal) on the 4th because the tour guide from ToursByLocals provides a map of Bergen with reccomended shops/restaraunts/attractions etc and would like to spend the 3rd doing those kind of things. I don't want to spend the rest of my days not knowing what else to do, where to go etc. Norway has more things to do than I imagined!

Any scenic places to reccomend going to that are near Bergen and easy to get to? I'm only 18 so I won't be able to hire a car as I'm still unable to drive, so public transport or something similar would be best! I've also decided to purchase the "Bergen Card" as it grants free travel within Bergen and discounts to some musuems/attractions.

Any help?

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Norway traveller

The most scenic things are around the Nutshell, but Bergen itself is also scenic. Going to the Bergen summits (hiking or by funicular) is mandatory, but you can also do serious hikes on these mountains.

Perhaps a bus ride to the islands between Bergen and the Ocean? The rugged coast is something different

tverrpolitisk.no/wp-content/…DSCN0200.jpg

…panoramio.com/photos/large/28149428.jpg

seenorway.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/017.jpg

There you can visit Fjell fortress (WW2)

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Fjell_festning.jpg

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,732 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Norway traveller

I would advise you to not set any specific dates for outdoor activities or Norway in a Nutshell. Pick the days with the best forecast and decide when there. You do not need transport within Bergen, so the Bergen Card may not be good value for you. And you can easily walk around Bergen on your own, not necessary to have a guide to show you around or show you the shops. Central Bergen is not very large.

Go to the tourist office and pick up the Bergen Guide - it has all the info you need for a stay in Bergen, including tours to points of interest outside the city center.

Also, please consult the top questions at the top right hand corner of the forum.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 15:13
Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Norway traveller

It's not necessary to have a guide to see the sights in Bergen, but a good one can greatly enhance the experience.

Norway's guide services are very well regulated and the ones listed at www.toursbylocals.com appear to be officially accredited so I'd be confident they will do a good job.

On another 'tour by expert' web site though I found this headline "Bergen with Northern Light in January". I think perhaps it is supposed to be only a caption for a photo, but nevertheless very misleading in the way it is presented which doesn't give much confidence in the rest of what they offer.

On a fine day, just taking the bus to Norheimsund on the Hardangerfjord and exploring locally on foot (including the Steindalsfossen waterfall) would be a very enjoyable and inexpensive trip out from Bergen.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 16:30
Enfield, England...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Norway traveller

Thanks, I didn't realise the tourist office had so much to offer someone!

It sounds as though it's easier to arrange tours and transport to places whilst I'm already out there.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully Bardarbunga volcano doesn't erupt!

Oslo
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Norway traveller
Visit Norway What's this?

Hello,

Bergen hosts a wide variety of activities ranging from its vibrant cultural scene to lively outdoor activities. Please visit our link for attractions offering entertainment, events, excursions, sightseeing and more: visitnorway.com/en/…

We suggest you have a look at Bergen’s calendar of events for the period of your stay as well: http://www.visitbergen.com/en/events/

Content provided by Visit Norway: www.visitnorway.com
6. Re: First time Norway traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:16