We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

Hi,

we have decided, rather short term, that we would like to visit Runde this week-end. There's just one minor issue: We are relying on public transportation.

I have found multiple references on the communities webpage that this can easily be done, however the internet is rather silent on how it is actually done. I would be very grateful if someone could let us know the bus stop/boat stop from which the best/easiest access to the bird watching trails is achieved and, if you know, which bus/boat does stop there.

We will get to Alesund tonight and will be visiting Runde from there, hopefully.

regards eljana

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,976 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

Maybe this topic can help you

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g190504-i4248-k510…

norled.no/uploads/documents/HurtigbaatRuter/…

It does not seem to be any buses on weekends. Perhaps call the tourist office, tel 70157600..

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

On week-days you may travel to Runde by express boat to Hareid, bus to Fosnavåg and another bus to Runde: http://www.fjord1.no/default.asp?page=360

Unfortunately the bus to Runde is not running on week-ends. Renting a car is your only option.

Norway
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

Since I live in this area, I may try to answer this question, even if I do not use much bus transport myself (generally the public bus transport is too infrequent to be practical).

I am sorry to report that the statement that getting from Ålesund to Runde by public transport is easy is somewhat optimistic. It is possible, but it is somewhat limited and and maybe inconvenient.

To get to Runde by public transport you would take the express boat from Ålesund to Hareid, and then the bus, first to Fosnavåg (I think Fjord1 route 330) and then from Fosnavåg to Runde (Fjord1 route 330). You can find these bus tables by searching the Fjord1 site. As far as I can see there is only one combination that will get you to Runde and back in one day, and this is summed up on this page:

http://www.fjord1.no/en/default.asp?page=1576

(it still says 2011, but I assume the time table is the same for 2012)

Unfortunaltely these buses are in reality school transport and threrefore they run only on weekdays (not Saturday and Sunday).

I am not aware of any other ways to get to Runde without your own transport, maybe others know more.

There may be excursions by boat from Ålesund in the high season, but I do not know the details of these, also I think these excursion do not include getting ashore, it will be purely boat trips, from what I have seen.

The bird watching areas are best accesseed from Goksøyr, just follow the road almost to the end (past the Camping) and there will be signs that direct you.

( see now that klimaflyktning and iverh answered while I was writing this, but I post this anyway)

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

Hi,

that's what I was fearing, unfortunately neither of us has a driver´s license so renting a car is not an option. Do you know how much traffic is on that road? Is there a chance to hitch hike to Runde? Will there be taxis?

Hareid to Runde is quite a distance, no? I guess it can't be walked?

regards Eljana

Edited: 04 May 2012, 13:37
Norway
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

Hareid to Runde is about 46 km so it is definitly too far to walk.

Trying to hitchhike might work, but I am not sure I would recommend that in this case. You may have to wait a while to find someone that will stop, and it is unlikely that you will find someone that are going the exact same route that you are, so you may have get on and off serveral cars to get all the way, so that it could easily take a large part of the day just for traveling to and from. The risk would be that you might end up not getting back to Hareid in time for the last boat back to Ålesund.

Norway
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

Addition regarding taxis: There are taxis by the boat at Hareid, but a trip all the way to Runde is going to be very expensive.

For going back from Runde to Hareid you will problably have to order a taxi from Fosnavåg.

Edited: 04 May 2012, 15:58
Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

Hi,

well that doesn't sound to good. I saw today that Hurtigrouten may go from Alesund to Torvik. Do you know if a connection between Torvik and Runde is more easily found than for Hareid to Runde?

regards Eljana

Norway
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

There seems to be a bus connection that runs by Torvik and to Fosnavåg, it is Fjord1 route 333.

Torvik is just a loading/unloading point for Hurtigruten because of its convenient location with regards to the route of the ship, but it is very small, not even a village.

In any case, the route plan of Hurtigruten does not fit well with a day trip to Runde. The southbound ship leaves Ålesund around midnight and is in Torvik a couple of hours later and the northbound ship leaves Torvik early in the morning, so it is not very useful to you unfortunately.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

Hi,

thanks for all the efforts! It does indeed not look good :(

We will check with the tourist office in Alesund tomorrow for a possible (reasonably expensive) trip on Sunday, but I doubt they'll come up with anything new that you guys haven't already suggested.

regards Eljana

Sandefjord, Norway
Level Contributor
725 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Runde by boat & bus from Alesund

You could go by bus to Fosnavåg and get a taxi from there (cheaper than to go all the way from Hareid by taxi) , or get the taxi to meet you at the busstop where the road to to Runde branches off from the road to Fosnavåg (Nerøykrysset).

Herøy Taxisentral A/S

70 08 86 63

Eggesbønes, 6092 Fosnavåg

Get answers to your questions about Alesund