We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Questions about Driving

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
350 reviews
Save Topic
Some Questions about Driving

This will be our first trip to Norway. We have 5 days flying into and out of Bergen in Late May. We enjoy driving particularly through spectacular scenery. I am trying to find a route from Bergen to Alesund with an overnight stop and a different return route with a different overnight stop. This gives us two nights and a full day to explore from Alesund. What will be the approximate cost of tolls and ferry crossings on these routes?

I have read about Ørnevegen and Trollstigen Mountain Road which sound amazing. How do I find out if the roads are open to traffic when I arrive in Norway? Is it possible to take a circular drive from Alesund that combines these two roads? What other scenic roads should I consider.

I understand that driving these roads requires a slow pace and we want to allow plenty of time for photo-stops along the way.

All help appreciated.

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Questions about Driving

Call 175 for last minute info

vegvesen.no/Trafikkinformasjon/Reiseinformas…

Ørnevegen (Eagles' road) is open all year.

For most first time visitors the inner fjords is usually the top sight, then you can also include the great mountain roads.

Possible route north: Bergen-Lærdal-Sogndal-Skjolden-Lom-Dombås-Åndalsnes/Trollstigen-Ålesund (about 700 km)

South: Ålesund-Stranda-Hellesylt-Geiranger-Stryn-Skei-Fjærland-Sogndal-Gudvangen-Bergen (about 500 km).

These routes intersect so you can easily swap. There are also variants, for instance by including the Aurland mountain road:

vanderveerfotografie.nl/wp-content/uploads/2…

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Questions about Driving

Thankyou, I've followed the route through on googlemaps. The suggested route from Skjolden to Lom seems to be a very long diversion where there seems to be a much more direct road 55. Any reason not to take this?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,687 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Questions about Driving

Route 55 is closed in winter and if you use google maps now, they will take you on a long detour. I suggest you supply google maps with viaMichelin or vis veg.

Route 55 Sognefjellet will normally be open in late May.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,685 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Questions about Driving

vis veg = visveg.vegvesen.no/Visveg/mapviewer.jsf…

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Questions about Driving

Skjolden-Lom is route 55, nice drive in summer (only!).

www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/sognefjellet

Hønefoss Norway
Level Contributor
944 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Questions about Driving

Whatever you do, do not go speeding!

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Questions about Driving

Yes, I read that, also leave a 3 second gap between yourself and the car in front, also think carefully before overtaking. Is there anything else I should know?

Finally, I can't seem to find information on where road tolls are and how much the tolls and ferry crossings cost. Where can I find this out?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,687 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Questions about Driving

It is possible to put you in the right direction once you have an itinerary ready so that we know what ferries you plan to take. There is also the possiblity to zoom in on google maps to find the name of the ferry crossing, then do a google search and hopefully a link to your ferry will show.

Park legally - fines are high and frequent.

Edited: 17 March 2014, 17:14
Oslo
Level Contributor
14,281 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Questions about Driving

There are tolls in Bergen (modest) and some in Ålesund. The short (ordinary) ferry crossings are less than 100 NOK for car, while this of course adds to your budget, in total ferry tickets is a small part of the total cost of driving. Exception is the long sightseeing ferries.

10. Re: Some Questions about Driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Alesund