We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Alesund hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

We are a family along with an infant. We are not renting any car.

We plan to visit bergen /voss/flam/etc and on our way we plan to visit Geiranger for a night and alesund for 2 nights. this JULY 2014 last week.

Need help and suggestions.

Whats the best route to be done?. Bergen- geiranger-alesund-atlantic road by bus and then fly to oslo? or any other option?.

Need to book hotels and bus routes if any needed.

dates are starting 29th from bergen and want to reach oslo by 1st august 2014 night.

please help plan the trip in the budgeted way by including any one ferry experience.

thanks in advance

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

The consensus on the Norway forum is that the Atlantic road is over-rated and not worth the huge detour from Ålesund-Geiranger. Travelling with public transport it will be time-consuming to get there and back, I'm not even sure it will be possible in one day, I suggest you forget the Atlantic road, Geiranger and Ålesund is more than enough for three days.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,477 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

If you are with an infant and on a budget, I would not stretch as far north as Atlantic road. It is a nice and interesting drive (and construction), but in my opinion somewhat overrated as an experience. All of western Norway has lots of great places other than Flåm, Geiranger and Atlantic road. It some 500 km from Flåm to Atlantic road.

Perhaps slow down and enjoy the Sognefjord instead, several ferry/boat rides there.

Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

thanks for your reply.

Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

which are the other places you recommed to stay?.

We plan to travel from Oslo on 26th by train to Voss.

on 27th we had planned to take the Gudavagen- Flam ferry and later the Flam train and back to Voss.

Please suggest is it really needed or worth to do the Flam railway?.

Is there any other place you suggest to go from OSLO for 2 nights as we later need to go to Bergen for a Day and from Bergen we intent to travel to ALESUND.

Do advice as we have infant is there a problem travelling on a bus?. As somewhere we read that the child safety gear is needed. Do the bus company provide the same? What if we carry the child in lap ?

This will help us replan the entire plan.

thanks for all your advice.

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

The most lovely experience of the Atlantic Road are when the weather are little rough, with waves who wash over the roads... it`s a dramatic place with the Atlantic Ocean straight in... but, very beautiful when It`s sun and quiet too..;)

You should do it with a rental car so you have time to stop, relax and enjoy it..;)

Tromso, Norway
Level Contributor
4,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

Sounds like you are planning to much on to short time... but, you could do this;

Day 1: Take the morning train from Oslo to Myrdal, and change to Flåm Railway. And then take the boat via Nærøyfjord to Gudvangen... and then bus to Voss and train to Bergen. This is NiN.

Day 2: Enjoy Bergen! You need all day and evening for really see Bergen.

http://hurtigruten.com leaves Bergen at 8 pm...

Day 3: Arrive Ålesund with Hurtigruten at 9.30 am. Enjoy this lovely city.

Day 4: Fly back to Oslo...

If Flåm are worth it... it`s depends what you like...

Not sure if all buses have baby seats, but I guess some of they have some, but you never know if it`s available...

The driver are responsible to secure all passengers safetly in the bus, so...

Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

Thanks for the details.

I did check for the Hurtigruten. its looks expensive. its costing almost 400 Euros for 2 ppl.

Regarding the bus, i heard they dont let you board the bus if the baby seat is not there. Now in that case We would be in a fix as we have already booked our rooms from 29th onwards in alesund.

Is there a way to book the bus tickets in advance? where can i get it done. and inform the company about the child. so they could have one for us in the bus.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

Contact the bus company directly at www.nor-way.no or you may find your question answered there online.

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,856 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

FAQ 12:

www.nor-way.no/customer-service/faq/#12

10. Re: IS atlantic road recommeded ? Please help planning the trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:16