We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking during a cruise stop

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Alesund hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking during a cruise stop

We will be in Alesund from 10AM til 7PM.

We would like to hike a mountain for great views. We have read about Sugar Top and that is certainly one to consider but is there any reality, time wise in getting over to Slogen to hike this spectacular mountain? If there was time, how would you suggest we get there from the cruise port?

Are there any other day hikes that you would recommend if Slogen is not realistic for our timeframe?

If hiking is not realistic, would you recommend renting a car and driving on a particular route to see mountains and fjords? Is this possible?

Thanks

Edited: 03 August 2014, 17:45
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

The hike from Øye to Slogen has an elevation gain of 1500m and is estimated to 6h for well fit people. Driving to Øye and back will take 2,5h each way with ferries, so, definitely not realistic within your time frame.

A more realistic hiking option is Storhornet on the island Godøya: http://ut.no/tur/2.5324/ . A more modest hike, but with great views. It is possible to travel there with bus, it takes about 45min. from Ålesund.

Renting a car and driving is of course another possibility, in that case I would recommend Hjørundfjorden.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

Renting a car is a good idea if your cruise does not visit Geiranger og Hjørundfjord.

Hjørundfjord is very you find the wild alpine mountains, but you can get great panoramas other places (without hiking) such from Stranda gondola lift, Trollstigen or the hairpin roads in Geiranger.

visitmr.com/site/img/preview/883/7294_RawRek…

…photobucket.com/albums/v646/cityq/JulyTrip/…

Hjørundfjorden is home the wildest mountains, and they rise directly from the fjord belove, but demanding hikes to summit (some summits only for skilled climbers)

westcoastpeaks.com/pics06/jakta_36sviewH.jpg

westcoastpeaks.com/pics10B/grotdal_118ferry.…

With limited time you can merely drive the fjord road from Ålesund towards Liabygda and Valldal (Stranda can be included in this drive).

www.blaatind.no/img/btKokarsteinen01.jpg

…panoramio.com/photos/large/28379599.jpg

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

Hi there,

We're also stopping Alesund for a cruise and would like to hike Storhornet. I've read that we should take the 664 bus and it will take 45 min, but does anyone know how frequently they run? I couldn't find a timetable anywhere online. We'll be there on Friday, Sep 5 and would like to hike in the morning.

Thank you!

Edited: 21 August 2014, 17:58
Oslo
Level Contributor
13,799 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

Storhornet is on Godøya island, connected by tunnels and bridges to Ålesund.

www.westcoastpeaks.com/Peaks/storhornet.html

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

Time table for bus line 664 to Godøya pages 42-43 in this PDF: frammr.no/Portals/…Aalesund_og_omegn.pdf

For hiking to Storhornet you should take the bus to the end stop, Gjuv. The first bus leaves from Ålesund bus station at 0855.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

Thank you so much iverh! This is exactly what I needed.

If you have a moment, I have a couple follow-up questions.

1. Is Ålesund rådhus the same bus stop as Ålesund rutebilstasjon? From what I've found, it seems like Ålesund rådhus is City Hall and it appears to be very close (if not the same) stop as Ålesund rutebilstasjon. Is that true?

2. Am I reading the return trip correctly? My impression is that we could catch either an 11:38 or 12:30 bus back to Ålesund rådhus.

3. From what I've read, it sound like we should plan for a 2-hour hike. Has that been your experience?

Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

1. Ålesund rutebilstasjon (bus station) and Ålesund Rådhus (city hall) are right across from each other on Keiser Wilhelms gate.

2. Return buses at 1138 or 1250

3. 2h sounds about right.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

Awesome. Thanks so much iverh!

New England
Destination Expert
for Ogunquit
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

Thank you for this information!

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking during a cruise stop

For anyone who's looking at this for their own trip, I just wanted to let you know that we took the bus to Godoya (Gjuv--pronounced you've--stop) and hiked up Storhornet. The buses were very easy to navigate and were mostly on time. The cruise ship pulled in right by the main bus station, which was very convenient. Note that the buses are a little pricey compared to US standards at 160 kr (~$25) round-trip for two of us. Also, it wasn't clear to us, but you have to switch buses at the Airport Hotel each way, which is about half-way into the trip.

The other thing that took a while for us to figure out was how to get on the trail from the bus stop. When you get off the bus at Gjuv, continue walking down the road in the direction the bus was going (it will turn around after it drops you off). After about 2 houses, there will be a paved road to the left. This is the first paved road. The others are gravel driveways. I think it's between a red and yellow house. Anyway, take that until it curves left. The trail continues going straight and it's very well-marked from there.

The hike itself is fairly strenuous at parts. In general, I think Norwegians are in much better shape than Americans because this was listed as a moderate hike :) It took us about 30 minutes to reach the lake. From there, it's another 30 min or so up a very steep trail to the top that requires a lot of bouldering and even using a chain to climb one section. The view at the top is worth it, though! They've also got a little container that holds a notebook and you're supposed to write your name in there to say you made it.

Overall, I definitely recommend this hike. It's tough, but if you're in decent shape and don't mind heights (there are some steep drop-offs), then you should be fine. If you're wary of the steep end part, you can always just go to the lake. There are still excellent views from there.