We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sognefjord plan - 2 nights, 3 days

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Zurich, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Topic
Sognefjord plan - 2 nights, 3 days

We are planning a trip to the Sognefjord from Bergen the second week of August. We will have a car. We would prefer to avoid very touristy/cruise ship itinerary locations if possible. So far this is what I have planned but we have not yet made any bookings. Please let me know if this sounds reasonable or if there is any must see sites that I have left off.

Day 1: Rent car in Bergen + drive to Gudvangen/Flam area: short hike and stay overnight

Day 2: Flam to Sogndal area: Stegastein viewpoint and snow road / Borgund Stave Church / Car Ferry to north shore of fjord / Stay overnight in Sogndal or Solvorn

Day 3: Urnes Stave Church or other nearby activity / Car Ferry from Kaupangen to Gudvangen / Drive towards Bergen perhaps stay overnight in Voss area

Comments/Questions: We decided to skip the Flam railway. I've heard the snow road may be a better option. I wish we had more time to make it up to the glacier or do some more hiking but it is not possible without another overnight I think. We are leaving Bergen at 5:30pm on Day 4 and are a bit worried about trying to drive all the way back that morning from the Sogndal area.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sognefjord plan - 2 nights, 3 days

It's a good plan, but on Day 3 you could stay on in the Sognefjord area, perhaps at Balestrand which is also a good base for hiking. On Day 4 you would have no problem driving from there to Bergen for your flight in the afternoon. The E39 route from the western end of the Sognefjord down to Bergen will be less busy and will avoid backtracking. Consider staying at Stalheim rather than Flam to avoid crowds and have wonderful hiking from the door of the hotel.

Edited: 13 July 2014, 12:36
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sognefjord plan - 2 nights, 3 days

Nice plan, but you need to get your accomodation booked to make sure there is availability.

Zurich, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sognefjord plan - 2 nights, 3 days

Thank you for your quick response and suggestion to stay in Stalheim instead of Flam. It looks like a great idea. I had a question about the drive back along the north side of the fjord instead of backtracking through Voss. The only thing I'm concerned about is that we would miss the boat trip in the Nærøyfjord which is supposed to be beautiful. Is the northern route particularly beautiful and should not be missed?

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,796 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sognefjord plan - 2 nights, 3 days

It is highly recommended to experience the Nærøyfjord. The ferry Kaupanger-Gudavangen is great. In this case I think it is fine to backtrack.

5. Re: Sognefjord plan - 2 nights, 3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:16