We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Stavanger hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Topic
how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

I had seen a u-tube of the Pulpit Rock trail, and it seemed pretty safe.

But, now I've seen some photos, where it looks like it just clings to the edge of the cliff in places. How dangerous is this trail? We had really hoped to do it (next June)!

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

The trail is safe and you should have no problems doing the hike if you are normally fit and wear proper shoes. Having said that, every year several do the hike in flip flops and stilettos and that is certainly not safe.

There are som parts where you have to climb (this is not like a walk in the park), but it is not unsafe.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

The last few hundred metres of the walk to Preikestolen is on quite a narrow ledge, only a couple of metres wide in some places, with the same vertical drop below it as Preikestolen itself. So, it's as safe as walking on a sidewalk beside a busy road. Given the crowds of people that do the walk to Preikestolen sometimes it's surprising there aren't more accidents, but then I suppose it's even more surprising there aren't more accidents on city streets. How safe you feel is a question of what you are used to.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

Thank you both. I had seen a picture on Fodor's of a place where it looked much narrower than a couple of meters. It looked like you were on the very edge . I can totally handle the couple of meters. So I really appreciate your answers.

London, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

Hi caligirl56,

As other people in the group mentioned it's a fair & safe hike and there should not be any problem in the narrow walks as well. One just need to be careful while on the hilke.

I have been to pulpit rock recently on 25th Aug 2013. It's a beautiful hike, only tough bit is first 0.5kms, once you have done that you going to enjoy all the way till the top.

You would love the views while hiking and once you are at the top. Make sure you take a fleece or jacket, it might get windy or sudden change in weather once you are there.

Cheers,

A

Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

Thank you, LovetoTravel! That is very encouraging. Now we just have to hope for a nice day!! I added an extra night in Stavanger as a "safety" in case the weather is just awful, and I know we can hike in the rain--but I'd rather it be just a beautiful day!!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,139 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

Hi. As mentioned already, it is a very safe hike and I have been up there a number of times. It is only towards the end that you can walk close to the edge if you want to :-) The view of the Lyse fjord is great on days with good weather. Have you also looked into Kjerag? Get in touch if you need some more info about Pulpit rock or Kjerag

Regards

Gard

Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

Gard-Thank you for the answer. We hadn't considered Kjerag, although I've heard of it. We just don't have that much time. I will definitely get in touch if I come up with more questions!

8. Re: how exposed is the Pulpit Rock trail?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:20