We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hike on Kjerag 2014

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Pelhrimov, Czech...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hike on Kjerag 2014

Hi,

I would like to ask you for a little advice. We are planing to visit the Norway in the mid of April and we would like to visit Preikestolen and Kjeragbolten. According to the information, which I found in the internet, Preikestolen seems ok. But Kjeragbolten is not recommended in this time.

And here is my question:

This year was winter very mild, so the weather is different from the average historical year. What is your recommendation about this year for the hike to Kjerag? And how is it about the road to the hike? I read that this road is closed till May? Is this weather dependent or calendar dependent? Like if the weather were good, would the road would be open earlier (in the mid of April)??

Thanks for the answer

Stepan

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
12,348 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hike on Kjerag 2014

Weather dependant, mild weather so far doesn't mean the winter is over yet. No use speculating - it's open when it's open. And just because the road is open doesn't mean it's safe or possible to do the walk. Check this site for information on the road: vegvesen.no/Trafikkinformasjon/…

Doesn't seem to be available in English so open in Chrome browser for translation. If you are really desperate to know you can give them a call - nobody on the forum will out guess the road authority!

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hike on Kjerag 2014

If you go to the weather web site www.yr.no and search for Preikestolhytta it will show you current weather conditions at the start of the path to Preikstolen and a forecast. Scroll down the page and you'll find local web cams - the one showing the Lysefjord bridge is looking towards Preikestolen rock and you can see there is very little snow there now except on the highest ground. yr.no/place/…. It's still winter though and not too late for more snow. I believe there are guided trips in winter now, but only one day a week.

For Kjerag you'd need to look at Sirdal and you'll see there is a lot of snow high up and further inland.

Edited: 24 March 2014, 12:32
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,993 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hike on Kjerag 2014

Note the season for Kjerag on the official tourist website: http://www.tidereiser.com/hikingtour-kjerag

4. Re: hike on Kjerag 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2015, 05:15