We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Which Stavanger hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
84 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Hello, I'll be coming from Stavanger city center and am wondering the cheapest way to get to Lysefjorden and see Kjeragbolten. I've looked at tours by tidereiser but was wondering about independent ways. For example, could I take a ferry and then hike myself following everyone else? Thank you.

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,444 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

It is a real hike:

www.visitnorway.com/us/product/?pid=31134

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
84 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Hmm, thank you, I'm wondering if Pulpit Rock might be easier. I'm pretty fit but have no experience hiking. Is it possible to do Pulpit Rock and Kjeragbolten in the same day or are they really far apart?

Oslo
Level Contributor
13,444 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Kjerag is some 10 km walk in rugged terrain, elevation gain from car park about 600 meters, some 6 hours hike, you need sturdy hiking shoes, clothes for all weather.

turanbefalinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/…

turanbefalinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/…

Pulpit rock is easier in all ways. I think it is too much in one day (hiking + transport by boat).

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

No, doing Pulpit Rock and Kjeragbolten same day is not possible, definitely not using public transport.

If you have limited time and want to do the trip to Kjerag in one day from Stavanger, your options are:

1) Take the Tidereiser tour bus both ways

2) Rent a car, drive to Øygardsstøl in the morning, do the hike, drive down to Lysebotn, take the ferry to Lauvvik at 1800. From Lauvvik drive back to Stavanger (http://www.fjord1.no/turistruter/lysefjorden)

It is possible to use the ferry without a car, but it will require one or two overnight stays at Lysebotn. (The ferries and the bus connections Lauvvik-Sandnes are infrequent and not coordinated.)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
84 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Thank you :)

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Hi Iverh,

Is it a good idea to rent a car from Stavanger? I'm planning to drive from Stavanger to Kjeragbolten, hike for a day, then take the ferry (with the car, of course), and stay over somewhere close to Preikestolen. On the following day, hike to the pulpit rock and drive back to Stavanger. Does it sound logic to you?

PS: will be there around late August.

Many thanks!

Edited: 01 July 2014, 04:55
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Yes, your plan makes perfect sense.

The Fjord1 tourist ferry is recommended, daily from Lysebotn at 1800 until the end of August. Get off at Forsand, drive to Preikestolen Fjellstue and stay overnight.

The trip can also be done in the opposite direction, in that case stay overnight at Hauane B&B in Lysebotn (www.lysegard.com).

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Awesome! Thank you very much :)

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Hi Iverh,

Actually, if we are going to use public transport, would it be possible to walk to Forsand to catch the ferry from Preikestolen? Once stay overnight at Hauane B&B in Lysebotn, is there any public transport to get back Stavanger on the following day?

Thanks!!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ways to Lysefjorden/Kjeragbolten

Yes, it is possible to walk, but it would take 4-6h in addition to 4h to Preikestolen and back, you would not be able to catch a ferry to Lysebotn same day.

It would be possible to do the whole trip with public transport if you can start on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday morning during the last two weeks of August. Other days rental car is the only option. I can give you more details if you are interested.