We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short first time trip to Eastbourne

London
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Short first time trip to Eastbourne

I am going to Eastbourne for the first time.

Can any one recommend a few things to do?

Beechy Head will be on the list - how can I get there? Sunset time would be really good.

Thanks

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

Eastbourne is essentially a less spoilt/less interesting (delete as appropriate) version of Brighton just along the coast.

It's not my idea of a destination to be honest - the promenade is excellent and there's some good rock pools if the seafront if your thing. Beachy Head is spectacular but don't get a one way taxi and walk back - apparently taxi drivers tell the police if you do, for obvious (and sad) reasons. Instead, take an open top bus :

http://www.beachyhead.org/Directions.html

You could do the first section of The South Downs Way straight from town and get a bus back.

There's some great pubs a little way inland. But I don't think you have a car ?

To be honest, were it me I'd have chosen Lewes, Arundel or Rye as a place to go for a night or two. But hopefully some more local residents (I live 12 miles away but rarely go to the place) can come up with something a bit more positive for you.

Mike

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,692 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

Ah, Eastbourne isn't all that bad. I go there on occasion. The seafront is quite nice and the Pier may be worth a visit. If I tend to visit there, I tend to travel there to go shopping.

In regards to Beachy head, it's well worth a visit, it's very pretty, although sad, for obvious reasons. I like the severn sisters national park (yes it's where my profile photo is taken, I couldn't get a good photo of Dover's white cliff) and seeing the cliffs.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

Walk along the seafront - it is not developed like Brighton or Hastings - there are a few cafes on the seafront. Take a bus (an open top one leaves from outside the pier quite regularly) up to Beachy Head (there is also a cafe/pub at the top) or walk (weather permitting) or go for a walk along Cuckmere Haven to the sea for some great views of seven sisters again take a bus and get off at Friston (buses heading for Seaford or Brighton will go along this way and depart from Terminus Road. There is a new (redeveloped) gallery in town called the Towner and that is worth a visit. The town centre is much like anywhere else but the shops around Grove Road and South Street are a bit more quirky. You could always walk from the town along the seafront to the harbour - a few shops, cafes and restaurants here, depends on how fit/able you are - it is all on one level. The dotto train goes up and down the seafront so you could always catch that some of the way. If you do walk along the seafront towards the harbour way (ie away from town) you could call in at the fish shop for some seafood whilst on the move (just past the sailing club and closed down Treasure Island).

There are also some great places to visit nearby such as Alriston (pretty village) and Lewes (market town, lots of crafty/art and antique shops, brewery), Bexhill (De La Warr pavillion) These are easily done by train or bus.

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

Read about the town and surrounding area here …blogspot.com/2011/06/eastbourne.html

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

There is an open-top tour bus that runs from The Pier to Beachy Head and back. Alternatively there is an hourly service bus that runs along the road by Beachy Head. A little further along the cliffs (about an hours walk or the hourly bus) is Birling Gap where it is possible to get down to the beach. There is also a cafe run by National Trust there.

In Eastbourne itself the main attraction is the unspoilt seafront with its pier and bandstand.

Brighton or the historic county town of Lewes are only a short train journey away

warwickshire
Level Contributor
240 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

Mike,

We are also at Eastbourne next week, and would appreciate details about the inland pubs as we will have a car.

Thanks

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,329 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

Happy to help.

Try The Tiger nearby at East Dean for starters - a lovely building in a nice setting.

For lunch with a view on a nice day, I like The Sussex Ox at Milton Street, but book first and note that they stop serving food at 2 on Sundays.

If you're after bargain food in a village setting (and most likely live music on a Saturday evening) the not-posh Six Bells at Chiddingly is the place for you.

For somewhere off the tourist map with a proper Sussex feel, The Star at Waldron is lovely, nice garden too.

Should you fancy a pub crawl, take the train to Lewes - The Snowdrop, The Gardeners Arms and The Lewes Arms are a classic route.

Have fun !

Mike

Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

Royal sovereign pub seaside

Feedback: I would recomend this pub to anybody who is in Eastbourne we were made to feel very welcome from our first night there and it was a lovely relaxed atmosphere, the food is superb and the landlord was very helpful giving us details of another guest house we could contact to arrange to stay longer you won't find anywhere else freindlier, more helpful or more relaxed very excellent establishment

Eastbourne
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

Dont forget that Eastbourne has 4 theatre venues so check out www.eastbournetheatres.co.uk. Also if you like walking and want to make it more interesting you could try the Murder Mystery Treasure Walk which goes from the pier and solve the clues as you go - you get to see bits of the town you might not otherwise see. Also there are regular murder mystery dinners at the Mowbray guesthouse.

west midlands
Level Contributor
201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short first time trip to Eastbourne

the harbour area is great for a wander and even better to stay in if you are interested in self catering, we stayed in a town house in june which really suited our needs. for things to do I would suggest;

belle tout along beachy head, birling gap, walking up the downs at dusk and being surrounded by rabbits and rock pooling at the far end of the beach ! Eastbourne is a traditional holiday resort but is still a pleasant place to visit