We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Llandudno in a day

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Llandudno in a day

My husband is being sent to Chester on business in May and I am lucky enough to be able to go with him.

However he will be working during the day so I will have to entertain myself. Was thinking of taking a day trip to Llandudno, what would you recommend I do whilst there....I will be staying for around 6-7 hours and would like a nice cafe to have lunch in as well.

Also, off topic, but I was thinking of similar day trips to Ryhl and Colwyn Bay but can't find much info about these places on here....have any of you been and what kind of things are there to do including nice places to eat in?

Many thanks

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Llandudno in a day

Llandudno is a very pretty,laid back place,not much to do there apart from walking & shopping,IMO walking is about the only thing the other two places have got going for them,we do visit Rhyl & Llandudno quite often,sadly though Rhyl & Colwyn Bay have seen better days.

All three have nice branches of Weatherspoons to eat in,the one in Llandudno is an old theatre & is VERY impressive,the one in Colwyn Bay is an old cinema & is also really nice.

Rogerstone
Level Contributor
201 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Llandudno in a day

Llandudno is a lovely old town with Victorian feel. Plenty of shopping opportunities and other activities such as a trip up the Great Orme. There are lots of places to eat ranging from good restaurants to small cafes

Are you taking the car? If so there is Conwy or Caernarfon castle within a short distance. If going by train be sure to go to Llandudno not Llandudno Junction which is outside the town.

Can I assume that you've been to Chester before and don't want to spend the day there instead?

On a personal note I wouldn't recommend either Rhyl or Colwyn Bay for any length of time

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Llandudno in a day

Just to add if you go by train it is a lovely run,largely along the coast with super views out to sea,the LLandudno train stops at all three places that you have mentioned.

Bromley, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Llandudno in a day

Thanks for your advice.

No not taking a car, coming from Shotton Train Station.

No I haven't been to Chester before, but I am having a day there as well...I'm staying from Monday-Friday so was planning on visiting Liverpool, Manchester, Llandudno, Ryhl & Chester on different days during that week.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Llandudno in a day

I have to agree with the others - and no disrespect is meant here - but there is not a lot in Rhyl or Colwyn Bay to keep you occupied for a day.

Llandudno is lovely though, and well worth a day of your time. There are lots of good places to eat - Badgers Cafe in the Victoria Shopping Arcade is very good, and if you are looking for fish and chips you can do no better than Fish Tram Chips by the tram stop for the Great Orme. Perhaps you could consider going to Conwy too, as that is another lovely little town with a magnificent castle (sorry I can't help with transport details, but perhaps someone else can.)

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,204 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Llandudno in a day

Trish is spot on,Conwy is a nice place & can be reached by rail from Shotton as can Llandudno,Rhyl & Manchester.

For Liverpool you need to get the train to Chester & then get a Merseyrail train to Liverpool,there are options by bus but the train is quicker.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
883 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Llandudno in a day

Llandudno is a lovely place to visit.I suggest you take a walk along the seaside front and take a walk along the pier.You may like a trip on "The Great Orme Tramway".www.greatormetramway.co.uk

The Great Orme Tramway,Victoria station,church walks,Llandudno.

Try this website-:www.llandudnoattractions.co.uk

Visit Llandudno"s Alice in Wonderland centre.www.wonderland.co.uk

You may want to hop on a cable car for the best views of Llandudno Bay from the Great Orme,and while you"re up there,visit the Great Orme Country Park.

www.conway.gov.uk/countryside.

There is also a museum in Llandudno,history of Llandudno.

There are plenty of shops to walk around in Llandudno,The Victoria Centre shopping mall is one.

There are plenty of coffee shops,cafe"s,restaurants to eat in Llandudno.

Personally i would not recommend a visit to Rhyl,i would visit Conway,great walks,castle,harbour ect.

Enjoy your visit.

cheshire & wales
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Llandudno in a day

Hello, I don't know when you are planning your trip but the great orme tramway and cable cars do not open until Easter, but there are plenty of walks and shops to keep you occupied. As previous comments, defo go to Conwy castle where you can walk around the walls aswell, it is the most complete walled town in the UK allbiet small. Llanberis and Betws y coed are great villages / towns but transport links would be much more challanging. ENjoy your time in N wales though.

9. Re: Llandudno in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Llandudno
Recent Conversations