We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Which Llandudno hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Is there an easy pathway to walk up The Great Orme or do we have to walk up the roadway? ( Or don't you advise walking up - we are fit and able to walk up steep hills,but if it's going to be too hard-going we'd rather get the tramway )

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Yes you can take footpaths to the top.

www.conwy.gov.uk/section.asp…

scroll down to the bottom of the page and there are a number of trails listed

If my link does not work try googling Great Orme Trails or Exploring the Great Orme.

Edited: 10 May 2012, 16:39
Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
651 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Have not walked up there myself, have always gone up & down by tram, cable car or driven up there. It is possible to get a one way ticket on both the tram & cable car, so you could ride up & walk down.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Many thanks to you both for the helpful replies.

The links are very helpful with lots of useful info. (all I got up googling earlier seemed to be about the history of it.)

Might get the tram up if we aren't feeling very energetic that day and then walk back down. No-way would I get hubby on a cable car.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
651 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

The cable car isn't too bad as it isn't very high up from the ground, & you do get some great views, & as the cars are open without windows, on a warm day it is quite refreshing.

Level Contributor
63 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

There are loads of fab walks and you can't really get lost tbh. The 'Monks' path which you pick up from marine drive from the west shore, thn round to the summit and back down via the church and the ski slope and happy valley is the best in my humble opinion :-)

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Thanks JoniStubbs,will suss that out :)

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
754 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Never walked up the Orme in my 18 years living there, but it could probably be done in an hour and a half. Both the tramway and cable cars are appalling rip-offs in my opinion, you'd be better just taking the public bus from Mostyn Street to the summit, 10 minute ride if that and only a couple of pounds.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Thanks raydar , I didn't know about a normal bus going up. The brochure just mentions the cable car & tram.

If we can have a walk up it will be the better option ,as we like to spend a few hours walking around the resorts in the daytime.

But if we don't feel like walking up ,the bus to the top and then a wander back down again sounds the best option. :-)

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Hi folks,

We had a walk up The Great Orme .........To make sure we got on the right path to get to the top we found the Tram Station and followed the tracks up what must have been the steepest climb around (forgot all about JoniStubbs advice about going the Monks Path way until I got back to the hotel room and read my notes lol ......will go that easier way next time for a change).

After the half way stage it got less steep and we were glad we had made the effort to walk it up. Certainly worth it for the views.

We also had a nice walk along the West Shore to Conway which took us a couple of hours with stopping and looking at the scenery on the way. Caught the bus back which was more like a fairground ride as the driver was in a bad mood so driving like a maniac!

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,938 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring on foot in Llandudno

Ha ha SJ can you imagine walking up the Orme in the 50/60s pushing big prams ? My mum informs me her and her friends did it often !

Get answers to your questions about Llandudno