We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portmerion ??

Which Llandudno hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Portmerion ??

Hi folks, could anyone tell me if theres a bus/ train to Portmerion from Llandudno. Cheers.

Colwyn Bay, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portmerion ??

The only way to get to Portmeirion by train would be to take the Arriva service from Llandudno to Blaenau Ffestiniog and then catch the Ffestiniog narrow gauge railway to Minffordd which isn't too far from Portmeirion. You'd need to plan your timetables carefully though as these aren't exactly regular services (strictly speaking there is another way to get to Minffordd by regular train but that involves changing at Shrewsbury and takes more than six hours each way!).

I'm not entirely sure about the buses, the X55 will get you as far as Caernarfon but I think you then have to get a bus from Caernarfon to Porthmadog and then another bus from Porthmadog to Portmeirion.

Your other option is to try Alpine Coach Tours (they usually have a booking office in one of the kiosks next to the Pier entrance). I know in the past they used to run day trips to Portmeirion. It probably wouldn't be anything like as much fun as going with Alpine rather than via the Ffestiniog railway but it would be much more straightforward and possibly a bit cheaper.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 21:59
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,466 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portmerion ??

It should be possible to do the journey by bus or by bus and train via either Bangor or Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Check http://www.traveline-cymru.info/ where you will be able to find all the options.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
682 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portmerion ??

thanks for the replies, great help (as always).

4. Re: Portmerion ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2014, 07:16