We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner at the Salthouse

Ipswich
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner at the Salthouse

Last night I had a very dissapointing dinner there to celebrate my birthday.The service was very slow. We waited well over 1 hour for the main course, when it came it was overpriced and cold. A few tastless veg and no potatoes. At 16.00 this was a joke. Having complained ,we were brought our plates back with piping hot pots but cold pork. The service was very poor and another group were complaining as well. I would not recommend this restaurant as good value. There are far better places to eat in Ipswich

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
928 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

>>We waited well over 1 hour for the main course, when it came it was overpriced...<<

It is shocking that they would raise the price between the time you ordered and the time you were served.

>>There are far better places to eat in Ipswich<<

Would you happen to know the names of these better places?

Suffolk. UK
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

I have had dinner at the Salthouse on numerous occassions and have never experienced any thing of he sort. I have always found the service and the food to be exceptional. Maybe you caught them on an off day. I would highly recomend the Salthouse restaurant to anyone.

Ipswich
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

My huband booked a table at the Salthouse as a surprise treat for me on Mothers Day. I decided to have a look on the web to see if there were any reviews about it, and happened to find this article. After reading it i was really put off, but the table was booked and we were too late to book elsewhere at short notice. But i am so glad we went, it was really lovely. The staff were pleasant and the food was great, even my young children tucked in. Would now recommend it to anyone.

Beccles, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

Last year I had a disappointing meal with a group here. Maybe things have improved since then. The service was slow - the delivered food did not match the order and the portion size was small. To their credit they did apologise but no compensation was offered.

As to other good places to eat in Ipswich, try Trongs, the Galley, the Chinese buffet opposite the Regent, not tried the new place at the bottom of Bishop's Hill yet...

IMHO

Level Contributor
129 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

Hi hadleighmaid have to agree with you re salthouse harbour 10 of us went there for my mothers birthday and the food was absolutely not good but worse there was no atmosphere whatsoever. We would have gone to Il Punto immediately opposite the salthouse (floating restaurant) we have always enjoyed ourselves there but didnt think that elderly parents would manage the gangplank

pmu
england
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

Try the Bistro on the Quay or Loch Fynn if you like seafood.

Bentleys is also very good and you can even ride home in a Bentley !

Ipswich,UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

Can't agree more. The Salthouse is SO overpriced and over-rated considering the poor service, quality of food and choice. I took my parents here and the menu is so unsuitable for anyone over 21. Went there a second time with my wife and it was worse. There are so many better places to eat in Ipswich such as Il Punto, Loch Fyne, Bentleys (sometimes), Vanilla Pod and The Galley which is the best of them all. The Bar is very small and unfriendly.

Ipswich, England
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

I shouldn't really tell you this as it gets completly booked up most nights and lunch times as it is, but if you want good food then I can recomend Milsoms. A bit out of the way (15 miles?) at Stratford St Mary but well worth the visit. the only problem is they are very, very popular no pre-booking accepted unless you take over one of the dinning rooms at a cost. They get busy from early evening and I mean early 6pm and it is not unusuall to find a hour+ wait for a table before 7pm lunch times are almost as bad. I've lived in ipswich for many 15 years now and only found out about this place about 2 years ago from a buiness contact and it is now a regular eating spot. I can honestly say i have never had a bad meal there although sometimes its better than others but on the whole a verg good dining experience.

Its owned by the same people who own la tolboth resturant which is also reportadly very good but as yet I have yet to get a table on the few occassions I've tried with 3 weeks notice. I must make the effort to go.

They also own the harbour hotel at Harwich if you are out that way

As for the other places mentioned in Ipswich my experience has been:

Salthouse - Poor service & food to match, pity good spot on the quay

Il punto - Great food mostly, good for a different lunchtime light bite

The galley - Good experience, great food but tables a bit close.

Bentleys - Several good one mediocre visit good ones since. Manly grill type foods. I have been home via the bently (car) but i've noticed that its not always there.

Hintlesham hall- Been once, very good food not been for a while but good reports

Loch Fyne - generally good, try hard to please mainley fish and seafood

9. Re: Dinner at the Salthouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 08:19