We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ipswich FC and train transportation

Denver
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ipswich FC and train transportation

Hi. During my upcoming trip to England, I am thinking about attending the Ipswich v Watford match on March 15th. The issue is I have a flight the next day out of LGW. My question is concerning train transport from Ipswich to London late night during the week.

What train station would I use when I look up timetables for the journey?

How far is that station from Portman Road?

Are there facilities to store a bag at the station (or near by) while I attend the match?

Thanks in Advance

RTC

London
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

Use

http://www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/

to check the trains from Ipswich.

This is the company that operates the service on this route. If there are any engineering works (none scheduled for that day at the moment), you'll find details on their site.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

Portman Road is just a few minutes walk from Ipswich Station. When you come out of the station just walk down the road you see right ahead of you, part of which consists of a bridge over the river, and a few minutes later you come to the stadium (you can't miss it!). Trains take about and hour and a quarter from Liverpool Street. Although the service is not now run by National Express, I still find theirs is the best website to book on. The site will give you times and fares (based on booking online). You should have no problems getting to London as trains run quite late in both directions.

Unfortunately there are no left luggage facilities at Ipswich station. I'm a bit confused as to why you need them though. Are you not coming from London to Ipswich for the match? If you will definitely have luggage with you, you could consider staying overnight in Ipswich assuming your flight from Gatwick is not too early the next day. It would be a bit sad for you to come to Ipswich and only see the uninspiring part between the station and the football ground! The town centre is only a few minutes walk from the ground.

Denver
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

Wansteader and rcspeirs,

Thank you both for responding. I will take a look at the National Express site for the schedule, but there is something that I don't quite understand. If National Express no longer runs the service, who does? Does National Express just serve as a ticket broker?

My need to store bags is based on the idea that I will be staying the night Ipswich (or nearby) that Monday and spending Tuesday sightseeing. Thinking about it, I guess I could see if the place I stay can hold me bag after I check out eliminating the need for storage. I am in the early stages of planning (just booked my flight yesterday), so a lot of my itinerary is still in flux. Right now I am just exploring options and ideas.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

National Express East Anglia got into trouble with the Rail Regulator and the (then) Government and had the right to operate a couple of lines taken from it, and the lines in question were sort of re-nationalised for a set period. To be honest I don't know much about the details, except that I can still buy the tickets on the National Express website, still get good bargains if I can travel at the right times, and don't have to pay any commission.

If you are staying in the area for the match there are some fairly good hotels in Ipswich. The poshest is probably the Salthouse Harbour on the waterfront and there is also a Novotel a few minutes walk away. There is also a 3* Encore Hotel, where rooms are £39 per night, a couple of minutes walk from the Station and a few minutes more from the football ground. It looks okay but it's in a hideously dull location. Staying near the waterfront or in the centre of town would make for a more interesting experience.

Edited: 21 January 2011, 20:42
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8380108.stm

nationalrail.co.uk/passenger_services/maps/n…

As far as I understand (NXEA) National Express ‘East Anglia’ is still operating the London, Ipswich, Norwich service, their franchise was due to end in March 2011, 3 years early, but I believe they have been given a 6 month extension from that date.

National Express gave up their ‘East Coast’ franchise (out of Kings Cross) and that is now run by a state company called ‘East Coast’

I hope this helps.

Denver
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

That helps a lot. Thanks!

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
243 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

as said by wansteady ground is very close 2 hotels close to ground 1 budget 1 novatel you could get a room for £49, and leave your lugage in your room

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,731 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

Just to add to already sound advice provided here, the rail network in the UK is run by various 'franchises' such as National Express, Virgin Trains, etc who placed bids with the government to operate routes.

You can buy tickets for any route from any of the different operators even if they don't operate that route. You can also buy tickets from the nationalrail website for any route. As mentioned already, it pays to look at different providers and to shop around for the best fares for your tickets. Hope this helps!

9. Re: Ipswich FC and train transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2012, 06:16