We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Which Ipswich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

I am looking for a medium priced restaurant (around £25 per head if possible, though I can be flexible on that) for a special celebration in a few weeks' time, most probably on a Sunday early evening. I expect the number of guests to be around 14-16. I am minded to go for Arlingtons but before booking I just thought I'd check if anyone else knows of any other good alternatives. As most guests will be coming from outside Suffolk I would preferably like somewhere that shows Ipswich at it its best, either in terms of the venue or the location, both if possible!

Edited: 23 March 2011, 21:38
Ipswich
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Salthouse Harbour Hotel would be my choice for the type of night you describe.

Sunday night is a toughie in Ipswich - many of the good places are closed.

Enjoy whatever you do.

Cheers,

Martin.

London, United...
Level Contributor
208 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Try Aqua Eight in the Town Centre. Or perhaps the new Townhouse restaurant on Tacket Street.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Don't think Townhouse is open on Sundays...

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately two or three interesting contenders seem to be closed on Sundays. I think I may stick with my original idea of Arlingtons Brasserie, though Aqua Eight remains an option.

Edited: 29 March 2011, 23:38
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Just to let you know I changed it to Saturday night and have booked the Bistro on the Quay. That gives us the opportunity to meet fror drinks first in Isaacs!

Ipswich
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Good choice.

Brewery Tap is always an excellent choice as well, if you like rustic - which I do!

M.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,400 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Went to the Bistro on the Quay as planned (16 of us) and had an excellent evening. We had a drink or two in Isaacs before going to the restaurant and the guests fron outside Ipswich were most impressed by the ambience in both, and by the waterfront in general. Of course, the weather probably helped.

Yaxley, Suffolk
Level Contributor
608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

Thanks for letting us know about your night out in the end. Glad you enjoyed it. And yes the ambience on the quayside is very nice, though probably not on a cold wet day.

9. Re: Wanted: Good restaurant for special celebration.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 12:16