We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

Hi

We recently tried to eat at the Rising Sun in Poole, and they have a policy of telling anyone who tries to eat with a baby / toddler that they will be asked to leave if the child cries. Are there any other places in Poole with such child unfriendly policies?

Cheers

KP

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

Hi, No parent is going to dine in a smart expensive gastro pub with the expectation that their child is going to kick off. How did they convey this information - were you spoken to unkindly, and do you have a personal experience with the proprieters or do they have a 'polite' notice of some kind somewhere?

If you ate there you can add a balanced review of the whole experience here on Tripadvisor - it could serve as a useful heads-up to other young families, or equally to those who prefer to dine where there aren't many children.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190727-…

As a parent who was determined to get my children used to eating out from a very young age, I can sympathise. As someone who recently turned tail and walked out of a restaurant because it was full very loud grizzly toddlers I can appreciate the other side of the coin. Its really all about how the message is delivered. Maybe they need to work on that part. Reviews look fairly positive.

A few years ago I ate at a nice pub in the town that was very family friendly, unfortunately I can't for the life of me remember the name. Sorry, but I will come back and let you know if it comes back to me. I'm sure there are plenty of other places that will value and welcome you in Poole.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

I tried to leave a review but I think the owner asked Trip Advisor to remove it. All I had said was that I wished we had been told in advance (e.g. on the pub's website) to avoid the wasted trip. I gave three stars and clearly stated that I could not judge the food or the atmosphere because we decided not to eat there.

I agree with you it is up to restaurants whether or not to have this policy - but I think it should be clearly published, and that it might be better to ban children altogether, rather than make parents feel like they will be frogmarched out at the first sign of a cry!

We went on a weekday lunchtime, and the place was quiet. The message was conveyed in a polite (and apologetic) way, so I have no complaints about that.

What annoyed me was not knowing the policy in advance before paying to park near the restaurant, which is far from the other restaurants in Poole - we had planned to eat there because of all the good reviews, and had checked the restaurant's website before leaving.

The reason for my post is whether people know of other places with a similar policy - as we will avoid those too, but without the wasted journey...

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

PS - here is the review I attempted to leave:

First, let me say that I cannot say whether or not the food or atmosphere at this pub is any good - hence the three stars.

We had read the good reviews and wanted to eat here with our toddler and baby one lunchtime during the week (we were on holiday in Poole).

The pub was quiet but as soon as we walked in the door we were told "You can eat indoors, but if the baby cries you will be asked to leave".

My wife was offended by this and we decided to eat somewhere else.

I was less offended, as it is up to restaurants / pubs whether or not to adopt such a policy, but I was annoyed because the website does not mention the policy. We had parked at the top of town and (after being told the policy) had to walk to the bottom of town for a meal. (We ate at Off Quay and had a lovely meal!)

I see that the proprietor often replies to reviews on here - so here is a message for him: Please put a notice on your website that you have a policy of asking parents with young children to leave if they are noisy - it will save the hassle of visiting and being disappointed or, worse, offended about your policy.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

First, let me say that I cannot say whether or not the food or atmosphere at this pub is any good - hence the three stars.

=======

And thats how the owner was able to get it removed, because you rated the food when you didn't eat there.

Try leaving a review without mentioning or rating the food, say that your interaction was that you went there, didn't like their policy and in particular the fact its not announced up front on the website, and so left.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,894 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

Good advice from Joe there. You certainly have every right to review your visit. I would say that what you have written is fair, balanced and very helpful to other potential visitors. I note that they cater for such family events as christenings which is perhaps why they are being a little coy about their child policy. They really should mention it on the website. Perhaps they will reconsider.

Did your original review actually get posted on the website then taken down, or is there a possibility that it could still just be pending?

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

Hi all

It was posted then taken down.

I will resubmit but not mention the food.

KP

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

Hi all

It was posted then taken down.

I will resubmit but not mention the food.

KP

Essex
Level Contributor
29,053 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

I would not mention the name of the other place you ate in either, just say that you found somewhere else in town that suited you, but that you had the 'hike' to get there.

That way your review can't be taken down on the grounds that you are a possible 'shill' for the other place.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

I agree, the website should shout it out loud. Parents can avoid a wasted journey and couples can find a nice quiet place to enjoy a meal.

London
Level Contributor
10 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rising Sun - Poole ** Child Unfriendly ** Any others?

Just got an email to say someone had replied to this thread. Just for information - the owner has posted a reply to my review to say that I have mis-characterised what happened. He says that the policy communicated to us is that we would be asked to take our child outside to calm down if they start crying. To be honest - with the passing of time I cannot remember whether that is what was said or whether we were told we would be asked to leave. We were certainly told we would have to leave the building which is what my wife was offended by. As above - I just wish I knew before we made the effort to visit!