We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the nearest airport to Skegness

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What is the nearest airport to Skegness

We are going on a skool reunion weekend to Butlins in March we are from Newcastle which type of transport does anybody think is the best to get there if we get a train where does it stop,was wondering to fly down where is the nearest airport and is it far from Skegness the last resort would be a bus or we are in two minds to hire a mini bus to take us any ideas would be great.There is about 15 of us up to now.

Mentioned in this post
Butlin's Skegness Resort
Butlin's Skegness Resort
6,078 Reviews
Ingoldmells, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Skegness
Skegness
Lincolnshire, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the nearest airport to Skegness

If it were me in a party of 15 where presumably the driving could be shared, I would opt for the mini bus.

The nearestr airport to Skegness is Humberside, but there is no public transport from there to Skegness and I doubt there are flights from Newcastle - similarly East Midlands.

Train is possible by changing at Grantham, but of course you would nave to get to Butlins from the station by bus or taxi, so I guess the mini bus would be quicwer and cheaper. Pity reaklly, we'd all like to use public transport if it were viable.

Mentioned in this post
Skegness
Skegness
Lincolnshire, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Grantham
Grantham
Lincolnshire, UK
Butlin's Skegness Resort
Butlin's Skegness Resort
6,078 Reviews
Ingoldmells, UK
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the nearest airport to Skegness

I've made this trip, not actually to Butlins but to a small village just past Butlins. It's actually quite an easy trip by train taking an average of 4hrs and requiring a change in Grantham (and at certain times additionally in either Doncaster or Leeds). Advance fares are as low as £11.15 single...and I found options in both directions at this price for random dates in 2nd half of January. With 12 or more in the group it would be worth contacting National Express East Coast to see if a group ticket would be cheaper and / or more flexible. Changing trains in Grantham is very easy as it's a small station.

Upon arrival in Skegness there are at least 5 buses per hour from outside the station to Butlins and fares a few years ago were about £1. The trip only takes a few minutes and sharing 3 or 4 per taxi would also be quite cheap. I would not even consider flying as overall travel time would be considerably longer than by train given checkin times and considerable distance of Skegness from any airport.

Mentioned in this post
Butlin's Skegness Resort
Butlin's Skegness Resort
6,078 Reviews
Ingoldmells, UK
Grantham
Grantham
Lincolnshire, UK
Doncaster
Doncaster
South Yorkshire, UK
Leeds
Leeds
West Yorkshire, UK
Skegness
Skegness
Lincolnshire, UK
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the nearest airport to Skegness

We are sorted with the travel arrangements we have hired a mini bus that will take us straight to the camp.

We having been laughing as we booked for the Skool reunion weekend we had no idea where Skegness was looking forward to it.

Mentioned in this post
Skegness
Skegness
Lincolnshire, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the nearest airport to Skegness

Well I hope you all enjoy it. Skegness is a long established east coast resort with a fine sandy beach, and is famous for the "Jolly Fisherman" poster with the epithet "Skegness is SO bracing", so don't be surprised if you get some rather cool easterly breezes. Skegness was for many years the resort of choice for the working classes in the midlands and Yorkshire and acquired a somewhat downmarket reputation with funfairs, amusement arcades and kiss-me-quick hats!

These days it's actually quite a pleasant town with decent shops.

Butlins Skegness is the original Butlins holiday camp and is actually in Ingoldmells about 3 miles from Skeg. It is close to the Pleasure Island entertainment complex.

Hope you all have a great time!

Mentioned in this post
Skegness
Skegness
Lincolnshire, UK
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Butlin's Skegness Resort
Butlin's Skegness Resort
6,078 Reviews
Ingoldmells, UK
Ingoldmells
Ingoldmells
Skegness, UK
5. Re: What is the nearest airport to Skegness

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 17:18