We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Butlins what do you think plz ?

Which Skegness hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Midlands...
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Butlins what do you think plz ?

Thinking of going to skegness or blackpool as a family

What is butlins like in the main school holidays ?

What is butlins like for two 14 year olds do you think its more for just younger childrens worried kids will get bored with nothing for teenagers to do ?

Lots of ppl have said you cant get to see the entertainment on the evenings as the venues are packed solid with no seating ?

They want £837 for four nites in august ( Which they reckon is the sale/early booking offer )

Any help would be great thank you

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

Butlins would be fine for that age - these days it's a bit like Center Parcs - there's lots of adventurey-type stuff to do such as rock-climbing, archery,karting, water-slides etc, plus shows and discos in the evening.

Skegness, however, is an armpit. See if you can book the one in Minehead instead - it's a much nicer part of the world with more stuff to do and see outside the resort.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

Oh come on, Skegness is not that bad. Minehead is not to everyone's taste either, although I would agree that Somerset scenery is much better than Lincolnshire, but I wouldn't have thought two 14 year olds would be too bothered about that.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

Thank You both for your help

Skegness would be my prefered resort as dont drive so its our nearest by train

Just wondered do they do much for teenagers

Thanks Again

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

Went to Minehead and it was full of kids - who were all meeting up and probably having a great time, mostly to the annoyance of other people!

The ladies toilet ressmbled a youth club and you had to get to the bars early to get a table with a view.

Personally I would NEVER go again - although I am not a teenager!

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,486 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

If the teenagers get fed up with Butlins, there's always Fantasy Island to visit.

http://fantasyisland.co.uk/

As you are relying on public transport, Skegness would be shorter and quicker than Minehead. Just one easy change of train at Grantham and a short bus ride to Butlins. I would certainly give it a try.

East Midlands...
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

Thanks again

I know skegness very well have family who live near there, Just wondered what butlins is like for teenagers is there enough to keep them happy

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

As long as they stay on-site I would guess it is a fairly safe environment for them to have some independance. You might want to check out which activities you have to pay for - it is not as all-inclusive as we had imagined.

Also their eating places are quite expensive, although you can of course prepare your own meals.

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
10 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

Having visited both I would say the Skegness resort offers more to do than the Minehead one, it seems a larger, more modern site. You can also walk straight from the camp onto the beach which is nice. That seems pricey to me but I suppose I've tended to visit off season.

Worth mentioning as you say you are traveling by train that the resort is around 4 miles from the town centre/train station and their is very little around the camp.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,748 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

Getting to Minehead Butlins by public transport is quite straightforward - train from Paddington to Taunton, then bus 28 from Taunton station to Minehead every thirty minutes.

Slough, United...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Butlins what do you think plz ?

Butlins is great for teenagers as well as younger children,If your looking for a caravan break try www.suescaravanskegness.com - located on Butlins and lovely ! We booked last year and we are returning later this year it is much cheaper than the Gold Apartments we used to book and much nicer too ! Also they are revamping and extending the Splash pool spending millions on it - looks like it will be AMAZING.

Get answers to your questions about Skegness
Recent Conversations