We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions on Carlisle

Skala Kallonis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
questions on Carlisle

Hi! I will be traveling, along with my 2 teenage daughters, from Edinburgh to Birmingham on 12 July, by train, and seeing that it is quite a long journey, I thought that I would break it up at a stop along the way, so while looking at the route britrail follows, I decided that Carlisle would be a worthwhile stop for a couple of hours...What I want to know is:

a.Does anybody know if Carlisle train station(or anything else around this area) offers left luggage services or has any lockers?

b. Is it too ambitious of me to think that we could see the Cathedral and castle all in a few hours (about 3), or if we could at least get a glimpse of the castle just on the outside, and the cathedral...

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: questions on Carlisle

Bar Solo outside the station will take care of your luggage for a fee - but I'm not sure how recent that info is.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: questions on Carlisle

You should have just about enough time to see the Castle and Cathedral if you don't linger. The Castle is 15 minutes walk from the station, and you pass the Cathedral on the way. The Cathedral is free to enter. The Castle is an English Heritage site and entry is 5.70GBP for adults english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/… . There's quite a lot to see as it has a colourful history and there's a military museum.inside.

There are no luggage lockers at the station but the County Hotel (next to Bar Solo) at the top of Botchergate will also store your luggage (space permitting). They were charging 2GBP per bag about 2 years ago.

Skala Kallonis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: questions on Carlisle

thank you so much for the info, I checked it out and yes you can leave bags at bar solo (which is not actually a bar, as I thought at first, but you could actually eat there also!) I was a little anxious about the luggage situation, but you've both cleared my mind and now am so happy that we'll be stopping in Carlisle, with no hassles;

So glad that TA has these forums and local people help with all sort of traveller questions, no matter how trivial (trivial for you, important for us) they are! You all make holiday planning alot easier for independant travellers!

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: questions on Carlisle

Thre is a nice place to eat in the Cathedral grounds called Priors Kitchen - lovely home-made food and cakes. Enjoy your trip to Carlisle

Skala Kallonis...
Level Contributor
56 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: questions on Carlisle

Thank you "misinformed"-I'll put it on my to do list if we have enough time-does anyone know if we can take our bags and leave them at the Castle? (They're only small travel bags..)

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: questions on Carlisle

Sorry, I dont know (and sorry I didnt notice your question until now). The phone no for the Castle is

01228 591922 so they will be able to advise.

7. Re: questions on Carlisle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Carlisle
Recent Conversations