We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do.

Walled Lake...
9 posts
Save Topic
Things to do.

I'll be traveling from the United States to England from September 10th to October 1st to visit my boyfriend. He lives in Carlisle and he and I are in general just trying to find some things to do. Anywhere within two and a half hours wouldnt be too hard to do, and we're not against anything further away it would just take a bit more planning. We're pretty much open to anything so any ideas from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Things to do.

The trouble with the UK is that there are so many great places to see.:-)

You mentioned about going to York which I think would be ideal for you but if you could do an overnight stay then you could maybe go to Castle Howard too. That is a stunning place. Going home, you could take a look at the North Yorkshire Moors where there is some stunning scenery.

As for the idea of going to Leeds then I would say it is a pleasant City and anywhere will be new to you but it doesn't have any historical interest as far as I know.

For Cities that are closer to Carlisle then maybe look at Newcastle or Durham. I haven't been to either but they are very popular with visitors.

Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Things to do.

What about the Scottish Borders. Just over an hour from Carlisle to Kelso which is around the centre of the area. There are many historic castles and abbeys. Sir Walter Scott's home Abbotsford has just reopened and is wonderful.

Scenery is spectacular, and lots of walks and contryside persuits to suit all abiilities. The Borders offers peacefull rest.

It is far quieter than any other area of Scotland and very welcoming. Accommodation is good and reasonably priced.

If you used the Borders as a base Edinburgh and Holy Island, Bamburgh are about an hours drive, so easy to visit in a day.

Take the tourist route to Edinburgh

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Things to do.

I'd recommend coming to Liverpool for a day and a possible overnight stay, plenty of things to see and do, loads of history and if you do stay over there are some great restaurants and a vibrant bar scene to keep you occupied.

Walled Lake...
9 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Things to do.

We're looking at taking the train to York or Edinburgh and staying over night. Any nice places that you know of that would be nice to stay at?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Things to do.

If you log into either forum you will find a list of accomodation.

Alternatively, take a look at laterooms.com

Surrey
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Things to do.

You should look at Treasure Trails. There are thousands all over the country and they are a fun and different way to explore. There are several in Cumbria and Northumberland, York and Scotland. The idea is to follow a trail of clues as they lead you round hidden corners and you solve a puzzle or mystery as you go. They are suitable for all ages.

Also, try and visit the Yorkshire Dales too - and if you want something really different and memorable, book into The Forbidden Corner, a weird wonderland of a folly in a garden, open to the public and located near to Middleham in North Yorkshire.

Surrey
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Things to do.

Re places to stay in York - check out the Guy Fawkes Inn, they have lovely rooms out back of the quirky little pub. Or if you have more of a budget I recommend Hotel du Vin. Hope you have a fantastic time. York is my second favourite city in the UK (after London ;-)), you will adore the little cobbled streets and old buildings - and so, so many good pubs!

Walled Lake...
9 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Things to do.

Thank you, I will definitely look at both of those places. I've been looking at places to stay in both York and Edinburgh but I was hoping to get personal recommendations. I read most of the reviews for the places that are listed but it's still nice to get one more opinion.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,868 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Things to do.

I'm surprised that no-one has suggested a visit to Hadrian's Wall, it is readily accessible by bus from Carlisle.

Definitely Durham with its cathedral and castle.

Walled Lake...
9 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Things to do.

Thank you everyone! We've looked at a lot of the attractions at the places that have been listed and we've started to plan our activities. All of you have been so helpful! I'm sure my trip will be wonderful.

Get answers to your questions about Carlisle
Recent Conversations