We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out

aberdeen
Level Contributor
422 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
eating out

I have friends visiting Ballater from Norway in July for 2 nights and I would some up to date suggestions on where to eat for a nice evening meal.

I am thinking of the Auld Kirk and the Green Inn for possiblilities. I haven't eaten in Ballater myself and wonder what people would suggest?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,657 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating out

I wish I could remember the names of the restaurants we dined in during our two-night stay in Ballater, but the Italian one was not good at all and the more traditional one at the end of the main drag was only o.k. Auld Kirk looked very inviting; however, friends we were with wanted to keep things simple.

lochkinord
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: eating out

Hi

both Auld Kirk and Green Inn very good.

if you dont mind travelling just out of the village, we have a very good restaurant at out hotel - Loch Kinord at Dinnet.

please see trip advisor reviews for our food.

Regards

Andrew Cox

Loch Kinord

Crathie
Level Contributor
903 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: eating out

The Green Inn and The Auld Kirk are the two most expensive restaurants in the village. I have never eaten in The Green Inn, but have heard it is fine dining all the way, but with strict portion control and you come out feeling hungry. Last time I ate at The Auld Kirk, which was in 2008, the meal was beautifully presented and staff attentive, but it was pricey. We went home for coffee.

If you don't mind a drive out then I would go to The Lodge on the Loch of Aboyne. Meals are good, nothing fancy and reasonably priced, but the setting by the loch is very pleasant indeed.

http://www.thelodgeontheloch.com/

I certainly would not bother with The Loch Kinord Hotel at Dinnet. Have not set foot in the place for a couple of years now because previous experiences were not good. Staff seemed more concerned with partying after hours rather than giving good service to those locals who might conceivably come back out of season to put money in the till.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
422 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating out

Thanks very much for the input.

I have myself eaten at the Lodge in Aboyne and I do agree that it would be a good place to eat and I think the setting is really nice. I am not sure whether the visitors would want to drive after a days walking and maybe prefer to stay in Ballater and have a glass or two of wine!

I know that I have probably chosen a couple of more expensive places. My way of thinking was that they are coming from Norway where £25 for a main is not unusual and they would not mind pushing the boat out here - if the food is of a really good quality

Crathie
Level Contributor
903 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: eating out

>> My way of thinking was that they are coming from Norway where £25 for a main is not unusual and they would not mind pushing the boat out here - if the food is of a really good quality <<

Good point. There is always the Darroch Learg Hotel as well, another place out of range of my pocket, but again, fine dining. I guess the only thing to do is look at the reviews and make a choice based on them.

Have fun.

6. Re: eating out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2010, 11:20
Scotland, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating out

the last few times we have been in ballater we have eaten at the Alexandra,always been very good,,didnt enjoy the green inn though,too much out of the ordinary for me and way overpriced for what you get.

Scotland, Texas
Level Contributor
63 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating out

the last few times we have been in ballater we have eaten at the Alexandra,always been very good,,didnt enjoy the green inn though,too much out of the ordinary for me and way overpriced for what you get.

aberdeen
Level Contributor
422 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: eating out

Thanks for all the input. The guest house owner that they are staying with suggested to me the Deeside Hotel for a meal so I have booked a table there and the next night The Auld Kirk where I have added myself to the reservation!!!

aberdeen
Level Contributor
422 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating out

The meal on Friday I was told was very nice at the Deeside Hotel and they mentioned how friendly the owner was. Unfortunately neither of them enjoyed their main course of fish but I think maybe it was because they are used to fish done differently back home and can be quite particular about it. It took the edge off what was otherwise a very good experience there.

Saturday nights meal at the Auld Kirk I can say that we all thoroughly enjoyed and it was worth the drive out from Aberdeen for me. It would have been even better if I had stayed overnight and not had to drive home again! It was more than I usually pay for a meal at £35 for 3 courses but it was a really nice experience and eachcourse was very well presented and most importantly tasted very good! I would say to anyone that appreciates good food to give it a go while in Ballater.

Get answers to your questions about Ballater