We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salcombe Regis help please

Kingwood, TX
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Salcombe Regis help please

My parents and I are traveling to the UK next month and we're tracing my ancestry. My father goes back to Roger Clapp who was born in Salcombe Regis and was baptized at the St. Peter & St. Mary Church there. We've been told that the house at Combe Wood Farm is still there and it was the home that Roger grew up in. I think I've found the Combe Wood Farm on Google Map, but I'm not sure. It appears to be just down the path from the church on the way to the shoreline. Is this walking path open to the public? Familiar with the area anyone?

6 replies to this topic
bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Salcombe Regis help please

There is a public footpath between the church and hamlet down to the beach. Haven't been there for about four years the path can be a bit muddy after rain, but there were timber sleepers in the boggy parts.

The path down to the pebble beach is steep with steps.

Clapp is quite a common East Devon/West Somerset name.

There was a John Clapp, who had to hide in his attic for six months after the Monmouth Rebellion.

Only place to park is the church car park.

Kingwood, TX
Level Contributor
23 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salcombe Regis help please

Thanks so much. Roger Clapp left there in the early 1630's I believe and traveled to America where he established himself as a sea captain and settled in the Boston area. We're from Texas, but Roger was a grt, grt, grt, etc. grandfather of mine. We're very excited about out trip which we've been planning for 9 months (prior to the Royal Wedding announcement). We'll actually be in London for the wedding. Still waiting for our invites!

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,426 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Salcombe Regis help please

I think there were a few Clapps on the early pilgrim ships, as you will know better than me;there are a number of Exeters and Plymouths on your east coast.

I don't know how long you're able to stay in the area, but some of the coastal towns are worth a look; Lyme Regis, Beer, Sidmouth and Budleigh Salterton.

And there is a donkey sanctuary at Salcombe Regis.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
5 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salcombe Regis help please

I just discovered that my husband is also a descendant of Roger Clapp. I looked for a picture of the house on the internet, but I haven't found one. I did see the pictures of his and his wife's tombstones in Boston. So cool....my sister-in-law lives in Boston. Time to go for a visit!

Were you able to find Roger's house? We're planning a trip to England in 2014, and that would be a great place to visit.

Hope you had a great trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salcombe Regis help please

lots of clapps in the village of Beer a few miles east

Conroe
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Salcombe Regis help please

I know this is long after your trip, but here are my thoughts. I have visited Combe Fram Twice in 1998 and again in 2000. Roger did arrive in Dorchester,MA.There is a book published in 1876 abput the first six Clapps to arrive in this country. The book is available on Google Book Search. Roger was my 8th G Grand Father and the book comes down to my great gand Father Charles Martin Clapp, who was born in 1850. I live in Conroe , clapp1938@gmail.com.

Reply to: Salcombe Regis help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sidmouth