We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car parking

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
402 reviews
Save Topic
Car parking

I don't like to pay to park my car, and am prepared to walk a reasonable distance to avoid doing so. So if I am staying at the Grand Hotel in Scarborough, where can I park without ruining my pocket?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,932 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car parking

This site might have the info you need, PeterLanky:

www.scarborough.gov.uk/default.aspx…

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car parking

Thanks. I've had look at the site, but it only covers places where I have to pay.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car parking

Pretty much all of the centre of town is residents disc zone parking or limited to a few hours.

The zone ends at the end of Falsgrave road, top end of the esplanade or towards peasholm in the north. None of us like to pay, but I assure you that Scarborough council have the town wrapped up tight. Parking your car in the free areas on the edge of town will entail a 10-15 minute walk.

Don't the Grand provide parking permits for residents for use in town centre car parks ?

Edited: 07 March 2010, 20:53
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car parking

RE parking permits at the Grand. You can buy then at the Grand. Not sure, but £6-20 per 24hours comes to mind.

ian480.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car parking

Habanacustom,

I don't mind a 15 minute walk. I'm trying to remember when I was last there a few years ago, I could park on the Esplanade just further on from the Weston Hotel. Is this where you mean?

I always thought the council's policy to be strange to screw tourists for parking, in a town that relies on tourists. I take it that the initial opposition has died down now, and tourists either pay up or go elsewhere.

Ian,

Even £6 is £6 too much. I even considered the train, but the cost of that is 6 times the cost of driving.

Edited: 07 March 2010, 22:01
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car parking

Bloody h*ll and Yorkshiremen are called tight. Was you born in Yorkshire?LOL.

For the record, the carparking outside the Grand is £4-50 per 24 hours.

If you are over 60 you can get there for nowt you know.

ian480.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car parking

I'm afraid Scarborough council do their best to suck the tourist and local taxpayer dry. Their latest potty venture is to build two park and rides where no local wanted them, they are no use to town residents and are mainly used by concessionary pass holders from the suburbs. Dont get me started! (i have no axe to grind about pass holders, but don't see the business model working).

Anyway, the parking zone ends on the esplanade around the Ambassador hotel. PLease bear in mind that there will be lots of competition for these spaces and the main pedestrian route into town via Spa bridge is shut for repairs at the moment..

Edited: 07 March 2010, 22:28
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car parking

Habanacustom,

Has somebody who as paid MORE then there fair share of income tax, and NEVER claimed any benifits in my life, that you think I am wrong to use my bus pass?

Peter .

I was talking about using your pass from Lances to the Grand. It would take all day to do it, but it can be done I think.

ian480.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car parking

mmmh. They don't mention about the bridge being closed to potential tourists. I've read the old Scarborough Evening News article on that, and it says the renovation is up until Easter. Do you know if the date is on target.

I'm afraid I'm not yet old enough for any passes. The train for 4 of us would cost £210. I wonder why nobody uses it?

My old man was a Yorkshireman, so for any suggestions about being tight, I lay the blame fully on him.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
281 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car parking

Ian,

You misread my comment, I share your passion that all citizens who have worked hard all their lives should be rewarded with bus passes. My concern is that there are buses running on this route that take little or no money in an entire day and that if this continues, the service will be bankrupt just like our economy.

I say again, bus passes are a great thing; but the books have to balance.

Get answers to your questions about Scarborough
Recent Conversations