We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places for serving roast dinners

Which Scarborough hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Best places for serving roast dinners

Anywhere recommended ?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

In the town or surrounding suburbs/villages?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

In the town..... and otherwise . Must be accessible by public transport though .

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

I've really been stumped on this one. A lot of the decent cosy pubs in Scarborough have either shut or gone downhill. The town is mainly bland chain pubs or drinkers bars now.

The Scarborough arms used to be a real bobby dazzler, but since it changed hands a few years back and we've never been since.

How about Cooneys carvery on the crescent? Customers of mine, say its good. Irvines is another carvery, but I have no experience of this one.

A lot of people swear blind by the Scalby Manor and its £3.69 carvery, again never been there.

Out of town I'd have happily recommended the Coachman Inn, Grapes Inn or the Anvil, but is too far by public transport and costly by taxi.

If any other contributors have suggestions in town, I'd also like to hear.

Mark.

Wakefield
Level Contributor
80 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

We went to the Scarborough arms 2 weeks a go, when we came for a midweek break, but it was a Wednesday evening so they weren't doing carveries. The food we had was good but there wasn't much choice, but it was busy, which is always a good sign.

A few years ago we called in at the Ivanhoe for a quick snack & noticed they were doing carveries and we were going to come back for one later in the week, until I heard a customer complaining to the bar staff about being charged over £3 for a pint of Old Peculiar, & like I said this was a few years ago, so we gave it a miss.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
18 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

I'd definitely recomment the Dennison Arms in East Ayton. They do a lovely Sunday lunch!

Essex
Level Contributor
26,710 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

Carvery for £3.69 - wow that is an amazing price!

Ah but I have just checked up on the Scably Manor, this is part of the Crown Carveries Chain (we have one in Essex - the Derby Digger).

£3.69 is the carvery price from Monday to Saturday

£6.79 is the carvery price on Sundays (across the chain).

I have met many people who say the Derby Digger is very good, but I have yet to venture there myself - 'presume' the Scalby Manor is in the same league!

http://www.crowncarveries.co.uk/

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,588 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

Funnily enough, I was looking for a place to eat last week around 9pm, and came across the Dennison Arms.

Unlike many places in the area, it was open, and serving food. Almost every table had people with plates, which I took as a good sign.

Sadly, I wasn't impressed. Portions are large and you get lots of vegetables (I think I got 6, plus chips). Most were overcooked. Maybe I got what was left after a busy night. I imagine their roasts would be of a similar size.

If that's what you are looking for (and many people are), then it would be a good choice.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

No disrespect to the Dennison or other venues concentrating on large portions and low prices, but I'd rather save a few £'s up and head off to the Coachman etc. Shame the Everley in Hackness is no more - still sitting empty :(

9. Re: Best places for serving roast dinners

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Scarborough
Recent Conversations