We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

Lancaster
Level Contributor
97 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

I recently reviewed The Grand Hotel at Scarborough. I kept my comments as objective as possible. I notice the Manager has now posted a response to my review:

"Thank you for your comments

We offer affordable short breaks in an iconic building overlooking the south bay of Scarborough.

The only way to guarantee a room with a window is to upgrade to Premier Room."

So this is just to let you know that windows do not come as standard at the Grand. You will have to pay extra for that particular luxury!

Wakefield
Level Contributor
88 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

You should not have to pay extra just to have a window in a hotel room. This hotel should be avoided at all costs.

This manager has left comments a long time after the guests have gone & most of them seem to be along the lines of " if they had come to see me at the time we could have sorted things out ". If you read the reviews most people did try to speak to the manager, but just got fobbed off by " He's not available or not in " or by a receptionist who just didn't seem bothered, probably because they have spent all day dealing with complaints about how bad this hotel is.

My wife & I visited Scarborough in August, & I just wanted to have a quick look inside to see if it was as bad as people said, and it was.

This hotel is ranked 28th out of 29 in Scarborough at the moment by reviewers, for a good reason. Avoid it.

scarborough
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

What troubles me is that windows are classed as fire escapes, so if the fire was in the outside corridor and you were in one of these rooms - you are not left with any options. If the superficial things in a hotel this size are suffering from a lack of investment (furniture, decor for example), what about the things that you do not see such as wiring etc?

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

"What troubles me is that windows are classed as fire escapes"

By whom?

By the local fire brigade?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
21,717 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

The Grand Hotel has declined in quality over the years. What was once an iconic hotel in Scarborough has not been given the attention it deserves.

On a recent trip to Scarborough we were looking to book the Grand, but settled on a B&B which I felt had more character - and some of the reviews on here recently certainly paint a very sorry picture.

scarborough
Level Contributor
55 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

In our hotel when we have our annual inspection by the fire officer, they always check size of window openings in all letting rooms as they are classed as an alternative means of escape in the event of fire (other than the main stairwell). Although on our top floor I wouldn't particularly like to jump!

I seem to remember when we have applied for planning permission copies of the drawings go to the local fire officer to check the exact same thing.

Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

Windows are not required in an hotel room, but I do agree they are most often expected.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

Clearly windows are not a 'required' option as the EasyHotels would not be able to make their new Hotels. At these you pay extra for rooms with windows compared to those without. Also, Cruise ships with their many more 'inside' cabins, would not be allowed to operate.

In a HUGE 'block' of a builiding like the Grand, it stands to reason that there will probably be more buildings without windows, than buildings with!

Haveing 'argued' that out, though, I must say that I am very sad as to the state of this Hotel. In the early 80's when I went there, it was looking 'shabby' but you could see what it 'had been' and how much style it had. Also in those days the staff themselves still had style, knew what a 'GRAND' Hotel should be like, and knew how to look after you, make a fuss of you and make you feel special. I had some very fun evenigns there.

Now all the character and 'stuffing' have been knocked out of it from what I have seen. Hope the staff are still good, but no-one seems to have any 'style' or respect these days, so who knows??

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,020 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

I noticed about 4 Blue Plaques on it last week, and I think it was the largest hotel in Europe when it was built. I agree it seems to be faded.

A bit like the Adelphi - Liverpool's iconic hotel. Is it the same ownership?

Essex
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

I quote myself:

In a HUGE 'block' of a builiding like the Grand, it stands to reason that there will probably be more buildings without windows, than buildings with!

I meant to say:

In a HUGE 'block' of a builiding like the Grand, it stands to reason that there will probably be more ROOMS without windows, than buildings with!

ie these would be just like 'inside' cabins in a ship.

Good question peterscot re the Scarborough Grand and the Liverpool Adelphi sure a little bit of research would soon winkle that out.

Butlins owned the Scarborough Grand at one point - don't know if they still do, though!

Essex
Level Contributor
28,831 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Hotel - windowless rooms

Hmmn, Britannia now seem to own the Grand Hotel Scarborough - and how many threads have we had lately complaining about Britannia Hotels??

www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/scarborough/

QUEL Surprise - they also own the Adelphi!!

www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/liverpool/

Oh dear indeed.

Get answers to your questions about Scarborough
Recent Conversations