We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

Which Scarborough hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
45 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

Has anyone else had trouble getting a refund from this hotel, I paid extra for cancellation cover but now I've had to cancel and the hotel has gone into administration and I am having trouble getting my money(£387) back. SO BEWARE

England, United...
Level Contributor
8,792 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

Did you pay by credit card? If so, apply to your card provider for a refund beacuse they are jointly liable with the "merchant", in this case, the hotel or its administrators.

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
45 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

No unfortunately I paid by debit card, an expensive lesson learned to always pay with a credit card!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
2,494 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

I understand you may also be covered if you use a Visa debit card, in addition to the normal Visa credit card??

Jerry...

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
45 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

If that is the case I will investigate as I paid with a Visa debit card. Today I had a phone conversation with the administrators who told me my money was paid into a bank account that was overdrawn! there seems to be not much hope of getting my money back from them as they are now trying to sell the hotels, they will keep me informed.... I wont hold my breath!

Cleckheaton, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

We stayed at the Wrea Head only last Sunday evening. We only booked the day before too. There were no problems, they are still taking bookings and business is as usual.

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
45 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

Yes, all is well if you go and stay there but we had to cancel and they would not refund me my money although I paid for cancellation cover. I am in the process of claiming from Visa Debit, not sure if I will be succesful but I hope so as I cant really afford to lose nearly £400 pounds.

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
45 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

Update on refund claim. Today I noticed my bank account has been credited after I claimed my refund from VISA DEBIT, many thanks to Jerry2007 for suggesting I try them for the refund, it worked.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
277 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

Brilliant news!

East Grinstead...
Level Contributor
45 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

Yes, I am very pleased to get the money back, justice prevails after all!

Thank you

South Shields
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wrea Head Country House Hotel in administration!

i have just booked to stay in november - Anne has assured me the Hotel is running business as usual can someone reassure me further?

Get answers to your questions about Scarborough
Recent Conversations