We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Scarborough info

northampton
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
General Scarborough info

Please can I have some honest info about Scarborough. We are looking for a 3 day break near the sea, but as it will be October, with things to do indoors should it rain. Tell me honestly, what is Scarborough like? If I say to you, my idea of hell would be Blackpool and my idea of heaven is a small Cornish fishing village, is Scarborough a complete no no. I hate drunk, loud, people wandering around and noisy town centre pubs.

So is Scarborough a possibility or a complete no and if so whereabouts would I like?

Mentioned in this post
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Leeds.West Yorks.
Level Contributor
600 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Scarborough info

Scarborough is not as brash as Blackpool, but is not in any way like a Cornish Fishing village, apart from the fact there are fishing boats! It does have a quieter side, towards the Castle. In October it will be quieter with quite a lot of amusements etc closed.

Might I suggest you look at Whitby, or better still Robin Hood's Bay. Whitby is less 'seasidey' than Scarborough, being a fishing port and does have some nice areas, Robin Hood's Bay doesn't have ANY amusements(to my knowledge) and plenty of character, being on a steep slope down to the sea, lots of pretty houses/cottages, few pubs and shops but not much else. You should remember though any of the places I have mentioned including Scarborough, will be possibly cold and damp at that time of year, so be prepared for them not looking at their best! Most seaside resorts look a little depressed out of season - even Blackpool (though I like it in the winter when it's empty!)

The one good thing about all the resorts of Bridlington/Filey/Scarborough/Robin Hood's Bay and Whitby is that they are all quite close together so over three days you could have a wander to all of them to find things to do if it's bad weather.

Edited: 18 August 2013, 11:48
Mentioned in this post
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Bridlington
Bridlington
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Filey
Filey
Scarborough District, UK
northampton
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Scarborough info

Thank you. Someone else mentioned Robin Hoods Bay so I will look at that.

Mentioned in this post
Robin Hood's Bay
Robin Hood's Bay
North York Moors National Park, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Scarborough info

Scarborough has a beautiful setting and was always quite a stylish resort. That is not the case these days but you can avoid the brasher elements and autumn would be much quieter + some nice walks to do + castle + gallery+theatre etc..

Whitby also has a lot to offer. Hard to say which is best between the two.

Mentioned in this post
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
30,448 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Scarborough info

I like Scarborough, but nearly every hotel there now is owned by Britannia, enough to put anyone off!!!

Whitby ot RHB as others have said, will suit your remit much better, especially RHB, but you can't get a car down there easily, and watch-out for folk jumping up and down on the beach and cheering because they have just completed Wainwright's "Coast to Coast" trail....

Mentioned in this post
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,385 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Scarborough info

I don't think that Scarborough would suit you and I also suggest Whitby as an alternative.

I haven't been to Robin Hoods Bay for quite a few years but it seemed quite run down when I visited it. However, it may have improved since then.

Mentioned in this post
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Robin Hood's Bay
Robin Hood's Bay
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,241 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Scarborough info

"my idea of heaven is a small Cornish fishing village"

On that basis it should be Whitby.

cheshire
Level Contributor
295 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: General Scarborough info

Although we love Scarborough and going to spend afew days there in Sept our usual break is Whitby.It still as quaint charm although when we where there last year in July we were surprised to see afew Hen/Stag parties lol.There is nothing to do at Robin Hoods Bay.Out of the 3 Whitby/Scarbro/.Brid I think you would prefer Whitby.Even though we are going to Scarborough we will certainly spend a day at Whitby which is an hour away by bus but obviously much quicker by car.

Mentioned in this post
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Robin Hood's Bay
Robin Hood's Bay
northampton
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General Scarborough info

Thank you all. We have been to Whitby before. I agree I don't think Scarborough is for me. We found a nice property in Alnwick, but decided might be better in the Spring, so in October we are going to Dunster. From the North East to the South West, we are nothing if not versatile.

Mentioned in this post
Whitby
Whitby
Scarborough District, UK
Scarborough
Scarborough
Scarborough District, UK
Alnwick
Alnwick
Northumberland, UK
9. Re: General Scarborough info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Scarborough
Recent Conversations