We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbury racecourse party in the paddock

Henley-on-Thames...
2 posts
Save Topic
Newbury racecourse party in the paddock

I'm taking my 12 year old daughter and her friend to the Jessie j event at the racecourse, which starts early evening. Should we arrive as the gates open at 11am or later on? We've got premiere enclosure tickets.

We've never been to the races before. How does the betting work? Should we have a flutter on each race to keep their interest going during the afternoon? Any other tips welcome. Thanks.

Eva

Essex
Level Contributor
27,625 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbury racecourse party in the paddock

IF you want to watch the racing then you do need to be there a good hour before the first race.

I like to go down and see the horses in the parade ring - decide which one(s) I like the look of for the race - I don't always place a bet but I do 'note' them in my head as the horse I have picked for the race, to watch and see how it gets on.

There is a legal age for gambling in the UK so you do need to be aware of that.

For betting you have three options

Independent Bookmakers - usually have a minimum bet fee and that can start to mount up quite costly.

The racecourse betting shop is like the kind of every day betting shop you seen in the high street - perhaps call in to one if you have the time and get some general information 'direct'.

The Tote generally tends to work out cheaper, you can make a variety of different kinds of bet from 'to win' 'to place' and then various combinations

There is some useful information here:

britishhorseracing.com/goracing/…betHow.asp

This wiki gives a very good breakdown of the different types of Tote bets you can make:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tote_betting

The pontefract racecourse site has some excellent advice on betting with the bookies:

pontefract-races.co.uk/how-to-bet-with-the-t…

and this is what Newbury's own website has to say on the matter:

newbury-racecourse.co.uk/Racing/…How-to-Bet

Henley-on-Thames...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbury racecourse party in the paddock

Many thanks for your advice. We're all v excited!

Eva

3. Re: Newbury racecourse party in the paddock

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2013, 10:15