We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see and do in Minehead

Which Minehead hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
What to see and do in Minehead

I have the chance of a holiday in Minehead and, as it will be at quite short notice and I've got a lot on my plate this next few weeks (with little time for research), wonder if anyone could advise of what great stuff there is to do in the area.

Any information at all about anything Minehead related would be greatly appreciated. I particularly like walking, photography and eating out.

I will, of course, be doing my own research but a bit pushed for time.

Thanks.

Suzi

15 replies to this topic
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

Go on the West Somerset Railway from Minehead breaking your return at Dunster. Very quaint old town, castle, church etc

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
24,928 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

Hi Super, I'll post some links to Travel Articles about Minehead and the immediate area.

If you like walking, eating and photography it is the perfect place. You don't say when you would be coming or for how long so I'll keep it general

Minehead and around tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186369-c158816/Som…

Dunster - 3 miles tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186369-c158858/Som…

Porlock 5 miles tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186369-c159630/Som…

National Trust Villages - around 3-5miles tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186369-c159342/Som…

On my profile page some reviews tripadvisor.co.uk/members-reviews/suebovingt…

For walks there are so many places. My favourites are Watersmeet with a great cafe - walking from Lynmouth or Rockford. Stunning for photography.

Travel up to the moors from Porlock and there are wild Exmoor ponies and views of coast and moorland. Lots of stopping places and small roads to unique places.

Nearer is Horner Water with 2 tea rooms. Porlock Weir - Eat at The Exmoor Cooking Company, they only do 2 flavours of ice cream from Dartmoor but the triple chocolate is the best I've ever tasted. Millers on the Weir is good for coffee but the food is variable.

If you say when you're coming, how you're travelling & for how long I can give you more details if you wish.

Edited: 01 September 2013, 18:31
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

Will you have a car ?

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

Yes, got a car. Interested in any farm shops and farmer's markets too. Real foodies :-)

Suzi

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,928 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

Farm shop in Minehead beside Tescos ;-) It's small but local stuff. The tea blenders/coffee is just round the corner. Minehead Farmers Market is Friday mornings nettlecombewestsomerset.co.uk/farmers-market… there is often an Apple Fair in the autumn Porlock have an excellent Cheese Shop and Delis in Watchet and Dunster. There is a Chocolate Shop in Dunster with locally made chocolate and all that goes with it

There are a lot of local places. The ECC I mentioned, Kitnors at Bossington do excellent lunches and cakes as do many others. Selworthys Periwinkle Tearooms is a lovely spot too. Locks Tea Rooms in Dunster is good. Most all the eateries particularly the small ones do all their own cooking. There are some smart restaurants too.

More tea rooms/gardens than you can shake a stick at.

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

Wow, thanks for all the information Sue. I am going in the next few weeks but not sure which week yet (it's a long boring story to do with work LOL). Really looking forward to it. There seems to be lots to see and do which will be fab.

Thanks for all your help.

Suzi

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

I've just seen another post regarding "Hen Do's". Is there going to be anywhere we can go for a quiet drink as we like pubs but don't like them when they are very busy?

Thanks.

Suzanne

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,928 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

Did you read the thread? One answer I think. It is not the place for hens & stags. Basically an old fishing town and beach tourist centre for a couple of centuries A few weeks in the Spring the holiday camp does some and they spill out into the main street but are gone after lunch.

Apart from the school summer holidays the whole area is quiter people, walkers, painters, photographers. No theme parks you see, just beautiful countryside with country activities, fetes and fairs.

The Ship Aground on the harbour has just reopened refurbished. The Quay on the way to the harbour. The Hobby Horse on the way. The Kildare Lodge will be very quiet at this time of year and the food is excellent, it's off the main trek. The Brittania in Alcombe with the Indian restaurant nearby. There are two more which I don't frequent but should be quiet by the time you come but lack atmosphere. Weatherspoons and the York.

During the day Porlock has 3, Porlock Weir 2, The bus goes there. Dunster 4 including the Luttrell Arms which is intriguing.

PS More farmers markets, Lynmouth 1st Monday in the month, Illfracombe Mondays

Edited: 04 September 2013, 20:36
Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,928 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

And Lyn Food Festival Sun 29th September

Lichfield
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to see and do in Minehead

I did try to read it during my lunch hour but kept getting intrrupted so apologies ifI got the wrong end of the stick. I'm not incapable of doing my own research but working on a very intense project at the moment that is really wiping me out. Hence why I have been asking questions on here. Need a break very much and want to make the best of it.

Thanks.

Suzi

Reply to: What to see and do in Minehead
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted