We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luton airport: waiting times

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Luton airport: waiting times

I've also posted this question on the London forum, but maybe this is a better place to post it.

I'm interested in finding out how long it usually takes to get through security and passport control (I'm not an EU citizen) at Luton airport.

I realise it probably varies greatly according to time and day. My flight is with Wizz Air on a Friday at 5.15 pm.

I'm due to arrive at the airport shortly before 4 pm, on the shuttle bus via a train from St Pancras (and ultimately from York), and the gate apparently closes at 4.45 pm. I'm already checked in and will have only cabin baggage. But I've heard that Luton airport is...not the best in England.

Will I likely make the flight?

Please no schoolmarmish lectures telling me I should have left myself more time (I'm not accusing anybody; it's just that they're fairly common on other forums).

Any sensible replies much appreciated.

23 replies to this topic
Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

I don't think anyone's going to give you anything more than a general indication. Luton tends to be at its busiest in the early morning period, but Friday afternoon could also be busy with people heading off for the weekend. Providing you don't experience any hiccups on your journey to the airport then in theory you should be OK. Obviously, make sure you pre-print your boarding pass, double-check that your hand baggage isn't likely to fall foul of any size/weight rules, have any liquids ready, wear slip-on shoes and avoid anything else that can add extra minutes because the timings are a bit "tight".

The only other thing you might like to consider as a contingency is to pre-pay for use of the "Priority Lane" which in theory should get you through Security and into Departures faster. It costs £3 when booked online in advance. It doesn't get you any kind of special treatment... it just reduces the effect of any queuing if the airport happens to be busy. Details here:

https://www.london-luton.co.uk/priority-lane

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

My son used Luton recently and on a Saturday afternoon he was through in 30 mins including a bag drop off.

Admittedly he allowed three hours but acting on past experiences didn't want to get caught again.

Don't know if that helps

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,109 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

Luton isn't nice, if you're arriving to it by car. In your case, it's irrelevant.

Be there 3 hours before your scheduled flight time. Monitor Wizz Air constantly - these guys have reputation for changing their flight times, etc. Recently, I had a thread about Wizz Air on Air Travel Forum, and I've been warn about this company in it.

Where are you flying to? Perhaps, you don't need to schlep to London at all. Did you check the Manchester, Leeds Bradford, Doncaster Sheffield airports?

Yuri.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

The only comment I will make, is that you are showing a remarkable belief that two separate trains and a shuttle bus will all run impeccably to time .....

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
428 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

In theory you should be ok. I usually find that getting through security at Luton is about the only part of the process that is reasonably efficient these days. I agree that buying Priority Lane might be a good move too

Good Luck

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,442 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

You have a good chance of making the flight if everything goes according to plan, you have paid to use the Priority Lane, and the airport is not madly busy with weekend travellers.

My concern would be that I had no real cushion against anything going wrong.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
638 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

Thank you all very much for your passing on your advice/experience.

I realise it's a bit risky. I will have everything as sorted out as possible before I get to the airport and give it a go. I will report here on what happened.

I think I remember reading (somewhere on this forum?) that this priority lane thing doesn't save much time in practice. But for only three pounds it's got to be worth a try.

Cobham, United...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

>>>I think I remember reading (somewhere on this forum?) that this priority lane thing doesn't save much time in practice<<<

It can save you time if the airport is busy... but not otherwise.

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
428 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

As per my previous post, I've flown out of Luton 6 times this year and even at the busiest times have been through security in 10 minutes maximum, but this is no guarantee for your flight. For £3 it's a no brainer. As others have said - make sure you have your fluids (no more than 100ml per item) all in clear bags to save some time too

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luton airport: waiting times

just another maybe helpful idea, your train from York likely stops at Stevenage, it might be worth taking a taxi or UBER from Stevenage rail station to Luton airport, this is around 15 miles and would take around 25-30 minutes

I know this is additional cost,but not as costly as missing a flight :-) Hitchin rail station is even closer but not all east coast lines stop there

from Stevenage to kings cross is likely another 20 minutes on the train

then you cross the road to st pancras and if you are lucky will get an east midlands train which takes around 30 minutes to luton airport parkway,then when you get there you have to wait for a shuttle bus (they are pretty regular but its first come and I have seen big queues at peak times

just checked uber and its £17-24 from Lu1 to Stevenage but you would have to add a £3 drop off fee (assuming uber is available in Stevenage ==> I dont know)

wishing you all the best

cheers Tony

Reply to: Luton airport: waiting times
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted