We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay & logistics for airport

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
78 reviews
Where to stay & logistics for airport

Could do with some insight on where to stay options for one night before flight out.

I have looked at several places, such as Thistle, both Ibis hotels, Premier Inn (Luton) & cannot decide which will be best as there’s some factors I don’t know :)

I need a low budget option & relative ease of getting to the airport in the morning, flight is at 9.15. I was initially thinking as close as I can & walk, but as this is going to be mid November it will be really cold at that time in the morning, or wet, so may not want to walk! From the Ibis is it an uphill walk? Is using a taxi silly for that short distance? Cost if I did do that?

If I choose a place in town what is a realistic time it will take to get there, hoping it won’t be as bad as some of the traffic issues I read about in the summer months, plus approx cost of taxi?

Another thought is that I know the actual airport hotels start breakfast really early, but is this done at any of the city hotels?

The negatives I’m trying to avoid, that I have read varying comments on, are excessive noise & uncomfortable beds, a combination that means no sleep :(

All opinions & experiences welcomed, the last time I used Luton airport was some time in the 80s I think, I can’t remember anything about it & I'm sure it wouldn’t bear any resemblance to that now if I could!

A lot of questions I know, but just trying to get the balance of the best options!

5 replies to this topic
Luton, UK
Level Contributor
453 posts
73 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay & logistics for airport

The Airport you visited in the 80s is long gone - you will not recognise it! Sadly much of the change has not been for the better and the infrastructure is not sufficient to meet demand.

As you say there are two options;

If you stay at one of the 'on-site' Hotels (Ibis, Holiday Inns) then you have a 10 minute walk to the Terminal or there are buses which run from outside the new Ibis. At that time of the morning the traffic can be horrendous and you will probably be just as quick to walk it.

If you stay off site (Premier Inn at The Brache or in town) then you will need to take a bus or taxi. As above the last half mile can be horrendous. I would allow myself 20-30 minutes minimum to be on the safe side.

Personally I'd stay on-site. You never know with the weather but I'd rather be as close as possible to cover potential problems and traffic congestion

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
719 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay & logistics for airport

I use Luton Airport several times a year. Recent improvements to the road system have helped the flow of traffic, but it can still get pretty clogged. You will need to be at the airport around 7 am and this is a busy time.

As has been said, staying on site and walking would be best. Yes, the walk is uphill, but not extremely so, if you're reasonably fit.

If you decide to stay off-site, then allow plenty of time and perhaps decide to have your breakfast after you've got through security, which can itself be slow. I always feel it's best to aim to arrive really early and then just relax with a coffee and newspaper, or catch up with e-mails.

Luton Airport is the victim of its own success; geography and difficult-to-alter existing infrastructure mean there will never be a total solution to the traffic/parking problem. And there is talk of increasing the number of flights!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Where to stay & logistics for airport

Thanks guys!

I have now booked the Premier in town as I got a bargain at £23 & many of the reviews were better anyway :)

My first thought was to stay close, but being November I know my luck & it will be chucking it down or freezing, so still have the traffic to cope with anyway as I wouldn’t walk in that case.

Thanks for the estimates on travel time, I will be sure to start out early, I generally allow more time than necessary anyway in case of unforeseen problems. I see there’s a choice of options for coffee & a bite to eat for breakfast before I go through to departures, will probably opt for this as then I can still go outside for a smoke before going through :)

I will have checked in online & only have cabin baggage, so hoping it will limit the amount of time I’ll need.

Only consideration now, approx cost of taxi to airport, any ideas? Or is the bus A worth considering from the centre?

Edited: 21 September 2018, 12:28
Luton, UK
Level Contributor
453 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: Where to stay & logistics for airport

Sounds like a very good deal at that price.

Taxi to the airport will probably be about £8-10. The taxi will have to pay £3 to enter the drop off zone hence the fare being quite high for a short distance. I use a company called GO on 01582 404040 (I have no affiliation to them - just use them on a weekly basis).

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,620 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Where to stay & logistics for airport

Thanks, that price is ok, still works out less, room plus taxi, than staying at the airport :)

Reply to: Where to stay & logistics for airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted