We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luton Airport - £1 to drop off passengers!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Luton Airport - £1 to drop off passengers!

Just back from dropping the neighbour off at Luton Airport and "experiencing" the new drop-off charge.

While the new approach road has improved access, the last half mile still proves to be slow and now quite expensive.

Clearly, Luton Airport have taken the "a pound won't hurt" approach to resolving their problem of managing traffic. However, it hasn't improved the traffic flow.

Will think twice before volunteering to drop off the neighbour again or uses Luton myself.

Mentioned in this post
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luton Airport - £1 to drop off passengers!

This charge was brought in at Birmingham Airport some years ago and is quite scandalous in my opinion. Where will it all end? We'll soon be charged for breathing in the air at an airport. There is no way the motorist should pay because an airport can't control the traffic. Suggest you let them know your feelings by e-mail - it won't change things, but you might feel better yourself.

Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luton Airport - £1 to drop off passengers!

I have just experienced the same on the 3rd Sept. Queues right back to the IBIS at 6:00am in the morning.

They have a fast track booking scheme at Luton which out of curiosity I have just looked up.

The temporary Drop off zone used for free last year has been partly used by the airport for a pre-booking scheme costing £35 where you drop your car off at the front and an official drives your car into a car park costing around £100 a week.

The rest of the space has been brilliantly planned where the remaining users have two small lanes (approx 20 cars in each)to filter into and for the privilenge you pay a £1. To add a little more complication to the affair the traffic is planned to go across itself to get out,so they have introduced traffic lights.

As a lot of planes take off around 6/7 in the morning, thousands of people are arriving and their money making drop zone scheme cannot cope.

Even the free car park (for 60mins) further out with a bus service in, is embroil in the jam to get there.

Last year In my opinion, I found all the temporary works, cones right into the airport leading into a free drop off zone worked better for the passengers than this money making scheme.

Allow three hours for your flight and a further hour for your queue. PS There is a Luton Airport Forum by Airline quality if you wish to add to their already long list of unhappy users.

3. Re: Luton Airport - £1 to drop off passengers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 05:19