We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

Edmond, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

I will be traveling from Tel Aviv to Luton in mid September (I'm a US Citizen if that matters) arriving at 18:30 on Easy Jet and looking to catch another flight, again on Easy Jet, that leaves at 20:20 to Edinburgh. Is this doable?

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,614 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

If this isn't on one ticket, I wouldn't be comfo0rtable with such a short time. Particularly as its for a flight six months ahead of now. what will you do if the Edinburgh flight is brought forward in the meantime? Or your incoming flight is put back? Or both?

Then there's the possibility of delays causing you to arrive late even if the flight is not rescheduled.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,399 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

Easyjet are a budget airline; they do point-to-point flights only and don't care about 'connections'.

You would be better off booking a direct flight from Tel Aviv to Edinburgh, or one with an airline or alliance that will allow you to book connecting flights with a common passenger reference number, through a hub airport (such as British Airways through London Heathrow, or Air France/KLM through Amsterdam Schipol or Paris Charles de Gaulle). That way you have protection and rights should your flights be rescheduled, or delayed on the day.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

It's not comfortably doable even if all goes well. And if anything goes wrong you are sunk.

A flight next morning??

Luton, UK
Level Contributor
380 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

It is very tight to say the least. Easyjets latest check in is 45 minutes before the flight and they are very strict on this. As a US Citizen it is likely you will spend more time at Immigration, which, time wise is also very hit and miss. Any slight delay and you have no chance

As other have suggested I would look at other options

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,471 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

I've flown EasyJet from Tel Aviv to Luton twice and would happily do it again. However, there is no guarantee that the flight would arrive on time - the first time I did it (about three years ago) the flight was two hours late, which is of course something that can happen with any airline. I would not do what you are planning, for all the reasons already stated.

There are no direct flights from Tel Aviv to Edinburgh. Stay in a hotel in Luton and then fly to Edinburgh the next day. British Airways through Heathrow or Air France through Paris will most likely cost a lot more than a cheap hotel in Luton.

luton
Destination Expert
for Luton
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

No its not doable

arrival time is landing on tarmac ,you can add anything from 25-60 minutes to get through baggage claim and customs

you then have to go back through the tedious departures process at Luton which in my experience will take at least another 30 minutes

it probably looks doable on paper but luton is an airport least well equipped for connections and as wire wiper says the budget airlines wont care if you are 1 minute late

cheers tony

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,842 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

Take the train down into London, walk 10 minutes to Euston and take the sleeper train to Edinburgh - or as suggested book Tel Aviv to Edinburgh which will be via somewhere else

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

I sometimes travel between Edinburgh and continental destinations via Luton. It's not my favourite option, but if it saves my employer a few hundred pounds, and it's not too uncomfortable, I'm an obliging sort.

No way would I attempt what you propose. What I usually do on these trips is to stay overnight (usually at the HIE, which is OK for that sort of stay) and catch a morning flight up to Edinburgh or to my European destination. (As the schedule is set by the timing of business meetings and I would otherwise have to spend most of the preceding or following day travelling, this can work out with lower hours billed to the client as well as lower travel cost, making the saving worthwhile).

London, United...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

It is and it isn't. If the first flight will have a delay you'll be in trouble.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luton Airport landing and taking off time allowances

Have you considered maybe taking a train up to Edinburgh rather than flying? Potentially more expensive but it is another option.