We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel

Hoping someone can help, we are due to drive over to France first weeekend in June, my partner want to get the tunnel at about 6pm on the Friday ( we live in the Midlands and will be working for most of that day) I would rather get a train about lunchtime on the Saturday so can leave our house early Saturday morning and get to Reims Saturday afternoon and not have the stress of Friday night traffic in the U.K. and getting to Reims late Friday night... ( from there we will be driving to the Costa Brava the following day)

Are the queues likely to be horrific on the Saturday ( I don't believe the schools will have broken up yet) or am I missing a trick not going on the Friday ? I have only used the tunnel once before and that was a bank holiday years ago and we got a really early Saturday train....

Advice greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Reims
Reims
Marne, France
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Province of Girona, Spain
6 replies to this topic
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel

Whether there are queues may depend on strikes in France! O/W should be OK

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,775 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel

Hi,

I travel fairly often on a Saturday on the section of the M25 that crosses the Thames at Dartford. Some days there is no heavy traffic. Some days I can be held up for up to 30 minutes if there is an accident. Impossible to tell.

If you mean queues for the actual shuttle train then one clue is to look for when the fares are cheapest. That is when there is least demand.

Bob

Mentioned in this post
The Thames
The Thames
208 Reviews
London, UK
Dartford
Dartford
Kent, UK
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel

Warwick to the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone is theoretically a 3 hour drive but that doesn't include stops or any allowance for traffic delays. Calais to Reims takes just over 2 hours, again without stops or traffic delays.

Friday afternoon is probably the worst time of the week to be driving from Warwick to Folkestone, the motorways will still be full of trucks and the M25 could well be down to a crawl for much of its length, so I reckon that an early Saturday start is a MUCH better option. I would aim to set out by 07.00, having perhaps booked a Shuttle around 12.20. If you get to Folkestone much earlier than the 11.50 check-in for that you will still be within the 2 hour either-way time slot and may well get on an earlier crossing anyway, and if traffic should be really bad (after an accident, say) you would be very unlucky to arrive so late as to be outside the slot time (and that would be MUCH more likely on Friday anyway). The 12.20 would get you to Calais at 14.00 (French time) and Reims a little after 16.00 - delays en route being unlikely except, perhaps, just at the entry to Reims. Even if you did get delayed somewhere en route, it isn't going to be a disaster as time would be on your side.

Mentioned in this post
Warwick
Warwick
Warwickshire, UK
Calais
Calais
Pas-de-Calais, France
Reims
Reims
Marne, France
Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel

Thanks all for the advice, we do have a possibility of working out of an office in Maidstone on the Friday but I still don't fancy all the hassle of the a Friday night traffic to the tunnel and a late night arrival into Reims.

So think we will go for the Sat lunchtime option!

Mentioned in this post
Maidstone
Maidstone
Kent, UK
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
14,842 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel

I think you have made the right choice, in the last few years before moving over we decided never to drive on a Friday again.

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
695 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel

Thanks Fuchsia 😀

Reply to: Help with choosing when to get Euro Tunnel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted