We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to France on foot possible from Folkestone?

Which Folkestone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to France on foot possible from Folkestone?

From what I can work out, the hoverspeed service has ended, and the Eurotunnel is only for travel inside a car?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to France on foot possible from Folkestone?

google "folkestone ferry" and you'll get all the info you need.

London
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to France on foot possible from Folkestone?

Helen, as you've probably guessed, it is no longer possible to travel to France from Folkestone as a foot passenger.

There aren't any ferries operating from Folkestone and the Eurotunnel service is only available to motor vehicles (cars bikes vans coaches).

There is an oddity in that you can use eurotunnel with a cycle, but it seems like a lot of fuss. You have to be collected by a vehicle with trailer - and you travel in the vehicle.

However, Dover is only a few miles along the coast and there are lots and lots of ferries (who will take foot passengers) operating from Dover

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to France on foot possible from Folkestone?

Thank you - that was a great reply. I am a bit disappointed as Folkestone seems much prettier than Dover, and I am having a hard time finding a nice place to stay there. Apologies to any Doverites that I have offended!

4. Re: Day trip to France on foot possible from Folkestone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Folkestone