We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eurotunnel delays

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Eurotunnel delays

I'm travelling on Thursday morning, so have been trying to keep up to date with news of Eurotunnel.

This morning I heard about delays of 2 hours, then 3 hours. My son then informed me it was a 4 hour delay due to it having been closed.

On Twitter people are saying about waiting 6 and 8 hours. Anyone on here got up to date info please, as the help line is just (JUST!) saying a 4 hour wait, plus an extra 30 minutes for check-in. I'm hoping it will have improved by Thursday!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eurotunnel delays

I have just heard on BBC Radio 5 that there are delays owing to snow and ice damage to equipment and a broken down car shuttle train. People without reservations are advised not to travel today or tomorrow, but everyone with reservations is getting through with delays of 3 - 4 hours.

The weather situation in Northern France is as bad, if not worse, than in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
14,250 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eurotunnel delays

BBC Kent, reports current delays of 1 hour. Motorway is fully gritted and running. No more snow expected in Kent, so approach to Eurotunnel should be fine for Thursday. No operation "stack" in place, so barring anything else, should be ok for your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Kent
Kent
England, UK
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eurotunnel delays

What cheery news Pinder! Thank you so much both of you for your help.

We're just about to set out for the east of the country, calling in on our son who got caught up with the oil taker diversion on the M25 on Sunday morning, and couldn't make it to the family lunch. Then to a hotel near to the tunnel ready for a fairly early start on Thursday.

Safe travels and Happy Christmas.

Ohio, USA
Level Contributor
19,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eurotunnel delays

For the official Eurotunnel site go to http://www.eurotunnel.com/

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eurotunnel delays

The Eurptunnel website is good for general info, but we've found it's not usually up to date with current travelling news. We use the tunnel for at least 3 return journeys each year, finding it usually reliable and good value, as we buy frequent traveller tickets, at €39 per journey.

In December the info about delays was not at all up to date, nor has it been in the past when there have been hold-ups because of breakdowns. Even checking the website before leaving home doesn't always help; we've checked just before leaving the nearby hotel and still found ourselves caught up in long delays occasionally.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,518 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eurotunnel delays

If there are hold ups on Eurotunnel then all the traffic reports on radio & TV mention it ad nauseum.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eurotunnel delays

True, but on 21st December the radio went from announcing 1 hour delays to 4.5 hour delays in the space of 90 minutes, so I think Eurotunnel may be a bit economical with the truth at times.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
14,793 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eurotunnel delays

There are also times when delays aren't mentioned on radio at all. On one trip last year we arrived in reasonable time for our crossing to France and found there were long dealys. The whole place was messy, and apparently there'd been a breakdown. Staff told us that the whole building had been full of people for several hours, sitting on floors anywhere they could find a space. They crowds had cleared only a few minutes earlier. There was no warning on radio about these delays, nor was there any info on checking in; we were offered our crossing, but didn't get one for a further hour.

A couple of weeks ago we had a similar problem; arrived, checked in for our booked crossing; it was running an hour late, with no info on radio or at check-in.

This sounds as though it happens all the time; we are frequent users and mostly it's fine; we would appreciate more info on delays, though.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
9. Re: Eurotunnel delays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 10:17