We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

We'll be in central London in May and will be dedicating a day towards visiting the Battle of Britian Museum in Folkestone. We were not planning on driving, but is that the best way to get to the museum and the memorial? Any tips on the time it will take to make the journey and the best way to do that would be great.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,140 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

London St. Pancras to Folkestone West .Not to be confused with Folkestone Central.

The museum is in Hawkinge, a village outside of Folkestone, so from Folkestone you'd need to get a local bus. Or if you prefer, a local taxi from outside the station. Don't know about local buses, but the museum's website says that the local bus stops directly outside.

The website for the museum is www.kentbattleofbritain.co.uk.

In May the museum closes at 4 pm.

Edited: 20 March 2011, 09:09
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
13,140 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

Sorry... the museum web site is www.kentbattleofbritainmuseum.co.uk

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

The website address I have for the museum is http://www.kbobm.org/

It is on my agenda for a visit in early June, when I return to UK for some proper beer!

Trains run direct from London St Pancras station to Folkestone West and Folkestone Central at least once every hour, every day. The journey from London takes about 52 minutes. The timetable is here

southeasternrailway.co.uk/your-journey/…

Select the first one - High Speed Timetable.

Using those trains you get the bonus of an 125mph trip on Britain's only high speed commuter railway line. There is no real need to buy a ticket in advance; you can if you wish. Seat reservations are not available in any case.

The buses to Hawkinge and the museum leave from Folkestone Central rail station every half hour most of the day.

The bus timetable is here

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…20Summary.pdf

If I recall correctly from my many visits to Folkestone, there are no taxis etc at Folkestone West. This is confirmed by the station information on the railway website. Best go the extra half mile to Central.

I hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

If you do get some extra time as it were, Folkestone High Street is worth a little look around.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
33 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

This is why I love TripAdvisor so much! Thank you for the terrific suggestions and instructions. I'm sure they will make our day out to the museum even more enjoyable.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

Sorry to throw a late spanner in the works but there is also The Battle Of Britain Memorial at Capel Le Ferne just outside Folkestone.

website http://www.battleofbritainmemorial.org/

It can be found on the B2011,to get there take the M20 from London all the way to the end at Folkestone.To avoid the steep hill climb of the Old Dover Road stay on the M20 as it becomes the A20 to Dover.Follow the road through the tunnels and then look out for the signposts for the site.

There you will find a cliff top site with many dedications and memorials to "the few".Well worth a visit especially as its free admission.DOnations always welcomed.

Edited: 24 April 2011, 19:25
Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

You are aware, I imagine, that the RAF Museum in Hendon, North London, has a very good display of Battle of Britain aircraft. Much closer than Folkestone/Hawkinge.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
50,252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

Ah, but Hawkinge is on the very site of one of the most important airfields used at the time. Almost within sight of the Luftwaffe bases across the Channel.

I lived a few miles from RAF Biggin Hill in my childhood. That was always the place to go to for the annual airshows.

8. Re: Travel from London to Folkestone for Battle of Britian Mus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Folkestone