We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to folkestone

Southampton, United...
1 post
Save Topic
trip to folkestone

Hi, Im planning a visit to folkestone for my other halfs 30th birthday

his grandparents used to live there and he used to go the arcades and the beach every summer

I want to just book into a B and B for the weekend, thats close to the arcades and beach, with a few other attractions close, but im not really sure what area is best for this?

can anyone help??

thanks sarah

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,794 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to folkestone

Hi Sarah, I'm not sure what you mean by the arcades - do you mean the Rotunda Amusement Park? This disappeared several years ago. There aren't really any specific attractions in Folkestone nowadays - it's really just a place to enjoy the seaside air.

Being local I haven't tried any of the B&Bs but Rocksalt restaurant with rooms is in the harbour so very near the sandy beach if this is what you're looking for. There are lot of hotels along The Leas which is a lovely stretch to walk along but the beach below here is shingle and involves a lot of steps down or taking the funicular lift.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to folkestone

I enjoyed my walk near the Stade past the harbour a while back, it's always nice to look towards the channel on a nice, sunny day or even on a windy day, something about watching the sea on an angry day, brings the world into perceptive. I walked to the end and up a set of steps and up this hill (which I slipped down as I do) and it gave me a lovely view of the white cliffs.

There is a sandy bit there too. The Leas is just shingle, but I enjoyed going the Lea Lifts, although the music it played, did make me giggle!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,390 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to folkestone

Yes, have a look at the hotels along The Leas. I enjoyed my visit to Folkestone and Hythe. I found a few good pubs, and the sea air was very pleasant when walking along the front. Mind you, the weather being nice probably helped quite a bit!

I didn't see any arcades though...

4. Re: trip to folkestone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 09:15