We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips from folkestone

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
day trips from folkestone

I have decided I am going to Folkestone at the weekend (mainly because of the cheap prices of the hotels) arriving Saturday afternoon 2ish, leaving Monday afternoon. What is the best daytrips. I fancy Canterbury, Hever Castle, Leeds Castle. What is public transport like and where is the best places to go to make the most of my time there. I like historic places to visit.

I have never been to Kent before. Any idea's greatly appreciated.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips from folkestone

izzy ,

For a list and an excellent map of Kent attractions, special events etc, suggest looking at www.kentattractions.co.uk

Train transport, look at either www.southeasternrailway.co.uk

or www.nationalrail.co.uk

Do check for engineering works, which mostly happen either late evenings or at the week end.

At train stations you can pick up 2 for 1 leaflet that gives discounts for attreactins, you just need to keep your rail ticket with you.

Loads to do at Canterbury, excellent fish restaurants in Whitstable, and a walk along the Leas in Folkestone will blow any cobwebbs away! The weather also looks good for the coming week end too.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,559 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips from folkestone

Hever Castle is a very long way from Folkestone and a very awkward journey by public transport, in particular as there is no weekend bus service in the Hever area. Hever station is about 2 miles away but there is no practicable way there from Folkestone without going all the way into London and back, or doing a laborious cross country journey with two changes of train and a long walk in Edenbridge between the two stations there. It would take hours. Forget it.

There are easier day trips including Deal and Sandwich (train), Canterbury is a must. Bus is easiest, one every hour on Sundays see http://www.stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/Timetable_18600_16%2016A%20The%20Link%20(Direct).pdf)

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips from folkestone

Thanks mcpinder - I have looked at some of those sites, the more I look the more choices I seem to get, trying to find out what is doable in the short time I have.

Cubser - That is great, would love to see hever, will leave that for another time. Was thinking I could go to Canterbury as soon as I arrive, so that would leave me the Sunday to have the full day. Have looked at Dover, which I think is quite near and there seems to be a few things to do, especially the castle. Although I would love to see Leeds Castle, Is that at all practicable on a Sunday. Was hoping the weather is good and could leave Folkestone until the Monday morning, do the walk along the Lees, are there any musts in Folkestone?

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips from folkestone

Izzy, there aren't really any must sees in Folkestone these days apart from a good walk along The Leas (then back through the Lower Leas Coastal Park) and a mooch around the town centre.

For the practicalities of visiting Leeds Castle by public transport see the shuttle bus info (link obtained through Leeds Castle website): http://www.spottravel.co.uk/leeds-castle/

If you can make use of 2 for 1s you can also check the offers online in advance at: www.visitkentoffers.co.uk/2-for-1-offers/

If you get the bus, an Explorer ticket will offer you unlimited day travel for £6 or £10 for 2. The Stagecoach bus link above hasn't worked, try: www.stagecoachbus.com/localdefault.aspx…

For Folkestone to Canterbury you want "The Link" bus Number 16 ('Direct'), there is also an alternative route Number 17 ('Scenic') which goes on an alternative route along the narrow lanes through Elham which is one of the prettiest villages in the area. You could take the 16 one way and the 17 back but note the 17 runs every 2 hrs on Sunday. The 16 route is still a pretty route anyway.

Another option is a couple of hours in Hythe which is the next town to the west, it has a really nice feel to it. "The Wave" bus 101/102. There is also a miniature light railway that runs from Hythe several miles along the coast http://www.rhdr.org.uk/

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips from folkestone

izzy, Leeds Castle.... take the train from Folkestone West or Folkestone Central to Ashford International ( 4 0r 5 stops depending on which Folkestone station you use) and change there for the Victoria bound train. From Ashford it is 5 stops to get to Bearsted. station. At the station is a coach which waits for the passengers down from London, and goes directly to Leeds Castle. It is too far to walk, and the village bus doesn't connect with the railway station.

When at Ashford... don't get the St Pancras bound train... as you will whizz off in an entirely different direction!!!

The website for Leeds Castle is www.leeds-castle.com

A word of warning..... food at Leeds Castle is shockingly expensive, so I'd advise bringing a picnic.

It may not be practical to do both Leeds Castle and Dover on a Sunday, due to the fewer Sunday train service.

Leeds Castle is never promoted in the 2 for 1 train special offers, although Dover Castle frequently is, as are a number of Canterbury attractions.

However, it may be more practical to do Dover and Canterbury. Dover Priory is only 1 train stop up from Folkestone Central ( 2 stops from Folkestone West) and on the same train line for Canterbury ( 8 stops, but very quick). Dover Castle is a bit of walk from Dover Priory station, but it looms over the town, so you won't get lost, and there are taxi's at the station, but I can only guess that the fare would be about £5 or £6.00.

Personally I think Canterbury deserves a full day in itself, (but then I do tend to dawdle) and Dover Castle and Folkestone can easily be done in one day. The harbour at Folkestone is great for sea food.

Or.... to throw a complete spanner in the works, had you considered going to Sandwich? Only 5 train stops up from Dover, lovely little town and there is a delightful garden, called The Secret Gardens, that also serves great lunches and cream tea's. website is www.the-secretgardens.co.uk

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips from folkestone

Actually Leeds Castle is on the current 2 for 1 list, but the T&Cs state only valid Monday-Friday

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trips from folkestone

BayBOy.... we seem to have been posting at the same time! Thanks for the heads up about Leeds being in the current 2 for 1.

Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trips from folkestone

Hi

Thank you for all your suggestions. I have looked at them all and some others, think I will give Leeds Castle a miss this time, can you believe that it would cost more to go to Leeds Castle than to travel to Calais for the day - and that does not include the extortionate admission price. Gave up on Calais as well, apparently there is not much open on a Sunday. I looked into Hythe and read about the crypt at St Leonards, that would have been fascinating and different, unfortunately it does not open until the 1st May.

I have decided to go to Canterbury on the Saturday when I arrive and spend the day in Dover on the Sunday, as it is near St Georges day there are some things on. Brisk walk along the Lees on the Monday morning before heading home.

thanks again

9. Re: day trips from folkestone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2014, 11:16