We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What coastal town to stay in.?

Which Folkestone hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
What coastal town to stay in.?

I am looking to take my family, 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 8 year old to a coastal town in the south of England. I wish to stay in self catering accommodation and discover what the area has to offer. Then I plan to take the ferry to France, visit Paris and then disney land for 2 days.

Can anyone advise me of an area to stay?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,681 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What coastal town to stay in.?

When please? Most of the seaside resorts will be pretty dead until July.

You will be driving I assume.

The ferries all leave from Dover, so that's an obvious choice. Even if it is not the most scenic of towns (castle excepted) it would make a good base. Folkestone is nearer the Channel Tunnel for that choice of crossing the channel.

Then there are the nearby historic towns like Sandwich and Deal, Hythe, Ramsgate...loads of choices. Ramsgate has a nice sandy beach.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,540 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What coastal town to stay in.?

Add Broadstairs and Whitstable to the list. Also Sandwich although it is slightly inland.

Or Canterbury, not on the coast but you can get to all the other places easily.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 11:53
Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What coastal town to stay in.?

The coastal towns in the South East corner are an ecclectic bunch so much depends on what your priorities for a place to stay are:

Sandy/stoney beaches, Coastal scenery, Walking, Green spaces, Access to nature, History, Culture, archetecture, museums, Shopping, Eating out, Kid freindly attactivities, Amusements, nightlife, good transport links, views, tranquility etc. village/ larger town

Alot would also depend on whether you were travelling by car or public transport.

Personally i would say that any of Whitstable, the thanet resorts (margate, ramsgate, broadstairs), sandwich, st margerets at cliffe, deal, dover, folkestone, camber, rye, hastings, eastbourne, brighton all have different things to recommend them but would probably need more info before giving recommendations

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,085 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What coastal town to stay in.?

Herne Bay, Ramsgate

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,175 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What coastal town to stay in.?

And to add to the mix, St. Margarets Bay( closest to Dover) and Broadstairs for a lovely sandy bay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What coastal town to stay in.?

Sandwich and Broadstairs are the best. Sandwich is a little upmarket but my favourite by far.

7. Re: What coastal town to stay in.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2015, 05:27