We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Dunoon from Edingburgh

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to Dunoon from Edingburgh

My son and I will be in Edinburgh in the end of August for the Tattoo and we would very much like to go to the Cowal games. How would we get there without a car. Can we do this in a day trip. Thanks

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,953 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Dunoon from Edingburgh

I've no doubt that some tour firm will run day-trips from Edinburgh - check with the tourist office in Edinburgh.

You could easily get the train to Glasgow (about 50 minutes) and then walk 15 minutes to Central station from Queen st. (where the Edinburgh train arrives) and take the train to Gourock (about 40 minutes at a guess), where there is a choice of ferries. One is run by Calmac, and the other by Western Ferries ltd. The services take about 30 minutes and are frequent.

I don't know where the station is in relation to the ferries, but they tend to be close and most people using the ferries travelled by train in the golden era of the Clyde steamers. ("Doon the Watter").

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Dunoon from Edingburgh

What Peterscot said, mostly.

Train from Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen st, I think it takes about an hour, then short walk from there to Glasgow central.

From there the train to Gourock then the Cal-Mac to Dunoon pier, ( the other ferry doesn't leave from Gourock).

My granny lived in Dunoon and I have done the trip from there to Edinburgh ( albeit many years ago) and it's an easy trip.

From Dunoon pier you can either take a bus to the games or walk, it's about 20 minutes if they are still held in the same place.

http://www.calmac.co.uk/

3. Re: Getting to Dunoon from Edingburgh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 15:17
Get answers to your questions about Dunoon
Recent Conversations