We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
339 posts
265 reviews
Save Topic
Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

We're departing Bath early on Monday morning for a quick visit to Tintern Abbey and Chepstow Castle, before heading to the Cotswolds.

I'm hoping that perhaps we could find a spot for breakfast in the Chepstow area that might possibly have Welsh Rarebit for breakfast? Perhaps that's unorthodox, but we unfortunately don't have more than a short jaunt into Wales on this trip and wanted to try!

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

The best Welsh rarebit I've ever eaten was at Betty's restaurant in York ( and presumably their other branches, Harrogate and Ilkey have it on the menu as well).

It doesn't often appear on menus, and when I have eaten it in cafes, it turns out to be cheese on toast.

I would like to be proved wrong and I have never eaten breakfast in Chepstow.

If you want a traditional Welsh breakfast, I would go for laverbread instead.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

Welsh Rarebit has little if anything to do with Wales - it's just a name

Like French Fries

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,853 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

I suspect you'll have a problem tracking this dish down on your travels, but it couldn't be easier to make at home. There are loads of variations but this recipe/link gives a historical take on the dish aka Welsh Rabbit.Give it a try!

historicalfoods.com/1154/…

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

As the earlier poster suggests, Welsh Rarebit is not particularly Welsh (though it depends who you ask I suppose!). More important, it is not really a breakfast dish.

I am not sure of any cafes or restaurants that would be open to serve a Welsh breakfast. However, just a thought, you could perhaps contact one of the hotels in the area and ask if you could have a "Welsh breakfast" in their restaurant. It might cost a bit though, given the rates hotels tend to charge for breakfast.

However, if that idea interests you, you could try this place which overlooks the Abbey:

www.tinternabbeyhotel.co.uk/restaurant/

Abergavenny South...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

Don't know about Chepstow, but you can certainly get it at Annettes in Lewis Lane Abergavenny. Yummy!!

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

< and when I have eaten it in cafes, it turns out to be cheese on toast.>

which is exactly what it is

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

You could probably find some Welsh Cakes which I could eat for breakfast!!

In my experience a Welsh breakfast is different in name only from an Irish, Scottish or English breakfast. Bacon, eggs, beans, sausages, mushrooms, tomato, maybe some form of potato, perhaps laverbread. Welsh Rarebit is, as already has been said, is basically a gussied up version of cheese on toast.

Edited: 18 May 2010, 16:52
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

Just realised that my use of the word "gussied" may be puzzling to some readers. Does anyone remember Gorgeous Gussie or are you all too young?

Airedale
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

Please help this poster to find what she asked for!

Welsh Rarebit described as cheese on toast is like comparing Poached Eggs on Toast with Eggs Benedict.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Breakfast (Welsh rarebit!) in Chepstow on a Monday morning

Wandering a bit off topic here.................

Gorgeous Gussie" - wasn't she a tennis player? and wasn't she dubbed "gorgeous" because her tennis skirt was so short it revealed her knickers?

Get answers to your questions about Chepstow