We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Dublin to Tipperary

Ottawa, ON
2 posts
Save Topic
travel from Dublin to Tipperary

My spouse and I will be in Dublin in mid-September and would like to do 2 days one night in Tipperary. Keeping in mind, we have never been to Ireland and have absolutely no idea of distrance from one county to another, what would be the best way to get to Tipperary from Dublin? How far from Dublin is it and any recommendations of where to stay (quaint B&B would be nice too)?

Any help would be welcome!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

Tipperary is a big county, the biggest inland county in Ireland.

Where in Tipp do you want to visit? or is it Tipp town?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,906 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

"How far from Dublin is it "

It's a long way to Tipperary...

(Soryry - it had to be done!)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

Irish Fan - it was a long way to Tipperary before they started work on the M50 and the N/M7.

Its even longer now, lol!!

Ottawa, ON
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

As soon as I clicked "send" I realized I opened myself up for that come back!

Sorry for the vagueness - I told you I knew nothing! :-) This is a surprise trip for my husband's birthday and from what I remember, he mentioned something about wanting to go central Tipperary as this is where his roots began. I have no idea if there is anything to do, see, or stay in the area but I thought I would start here.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,303 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

Hi,

Can you get a bit of info from hubby, even discretely, as to where his folks came from?

If its from a small town, you might even be able to organise a meet of some cousins or a genealogist.

Central Tipp could really be anywhere.

Do you have a family name (if you like PM it)

Dublin
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

Hi,

South Tipperary covers Cashel, Cahir, Clonmel and it's approximately 2.5 to 3 hours from Dublin depending on when you travel. Friday evenings are busy as everyone who is heading home to Cork or Tipp is on the same road. North Tipp is probably 2 - 2.5 hours, this is Templemore, Nenagah, Thurles. There is a nice guest house in Cashel (Bailey's) and it's near the famous Rock of Cashel.

dublin
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

Hello, I live in Tipperary . You can take the train from Heuston station Dublin ( buses , luas tram etc.. will take you there ) to Tipparary. The train stops in Templemore and Thurles in the heart, of Tipperary. The journey takes approx. 1 hour 20 mins.

Templemore is a small town 2,000 people with a beautiful town park , church etc.. There is one hotel but many family owned b&b's

Thurles is slightly larger with more retail stores , cinemas etc.. There are a few hotels there too.

The 2 towns are only 10 minutes away from each other so you could maybe even take in the 2 in a day.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Tipperary
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

Last respondent neglected to say that this train from Heuston also calls at Limerick Junction which is just 2 miles from TIPPERARY TOWN. Tipperary Town is a town of approx 4,000 people and is located just 36 miles from Shannon Airport and approx 60 miles from Cork Airport the train juorney from to Dublin takes approx 1Hr 45mins .

Washington, DC
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

C Canuck 7, If you are in Ottawa, and your husband's ancestors are from Tipperary, do you know if they were part of the Tipperary-to-Ottawa migration in the 1820s? My family was, and I'm heading over myself in August. I learned a great deal of the history from Alexa Pritchard, who also lives in Ottawa and wrote a book about this group of immigrants.

chorley
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from Dublin to Tipperary

Hi me and my partner are hopefully sailing to Dublin in July and wish to make our way to Tipperary to see his family. We are going to stay in dublin for the night and wouldn't mind stopping somewhere else along the way for a night or two. Have you any suggestions where is nice to stay?

Thanks Rachel